Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
So I have a friend who will sell me his Nikon d80 and the 18-135mm lens (basically the kit) and a 4gig SD card, and all other appliances that come with the camera. It's in great condition as well, and can buy this package for 650$ Or on Amazon.com they have the Canon t1i kit that includes an 18-55mm lens (i think) for ~750ish. These are two cameras that stood out to me, is there anything else around that price range I should look at? Or would one of these camera's be my best bet?

EDIT: oh yeah also if you guys wouldn't mind posting the reasons as to why I should choose one over the other too, that would be awesome! and also the 18-135mm lens does not have IS or VR. and the 18-55 has IS.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Would you consider a used body and lens?

If so, I would go for a used Canon 30D (~$400 for a decent used copy) and a 17-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS (~$300 used). That combination would give you a fantastic body in the 30D and a step up over the kit lens. You'd be sacrificing a few megapxiels vs. the T1i, but you'd be gaining a much better built body and superior performance.

Unless you really need the extra megapixels (which I doubt...most people don't) OR you really, really need to shoot video, I would go with a used 30D over a new T1i any day.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
What makes the canon 30d so great though? Also basically, the d80 is no comparison to the 30d either?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
What makes the canon 30d so great though? Also basically, the d80 is no comparison to the 30d either?

the Rebel series cameras have relatively poor construction and ergonomics compared to the more advanced cameras. there are two reasons to choose a Rebel over a 30-50D: 1. some feature that is lacking in the more advanced camera, like Live View or video, or 2. you specifically want the smaller size.

the D80 was designed in a time when Canon thoroughly trumped Nikon in sensor performance. that doesn't mean it's a bad camera, but it doesn't compete well with Canons of the same era in that one aspect.

in any case, you should be choosing based on which user interface you prefer and the lenses that are available to you (or that you would upgrade to), both in price and focal length range.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I can't speak to Nikon bodies, except based on specs. The D80 looks like a fine camera, though it doesn't appear to be as ruggedly built as the 30D (the trade off here is, obviously, a little bit of additional weight on the 30D).

The 30D is (was?) a in a higher price/performance bracket than the D80, and consequently has some additional features that set it above the D80. Frame rate (5 fps vs. 3fps), max shutter speed (1/8000 vs. 1/4000), X-sync speed (1/250 vs. 1/200), larger buffer (11 RAW/30 JPEG vs. 6 RAW/25 JPEG), etc, etc. About the only thing the D80 has going for it is 2 extra megapixels, which is really inconsequential. The image quality of the 30D will be much better than the D80 as well.

A used DSLR body from a reputable source is a great investment; you get all the features you need (excellent high ISO performance, great frame rate, fantastic IQ) and none of the features you likely don't (video, ISO 25,600, etc).

Just saying it should be on your radar.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
So the 30D looks like a great camera, but the technology seems a little bit outdated as well. I'm willing to spend a little bit extra then what i mentioned, so I'm guessing then next step would be the Canon 40D? And also, are there any lens's that you guys would recommend me to? I'm pretty much a beginner, but i've been picking things up fast. (for the lens up to 200$ if possible)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
So the 30D looks like a great camera, but the technology seems a little bit outdated as well. I'm willing to spend a little bit extra then what i mentioned, so I'm guessing then next step would be the Canon 40D? And also, are there any lens's that you guys would recommend me to? I'm pretty much a beginner, but i've been picking things up fast. (for the lens up to 200$ if possible)

Canon made large improvements from the 30 to 40D, so if you can afford a 40D, that will be money well spent.

just start with the 18-55 IS ($100 used) and, if you want more reach, a 55-250 IS ($200 used). both are cheaply made but have good optics. they'll give you an idea of what you want. the next step up is at least $300, more like $400, for a used lens.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
So I have a friend who will sell me his Nikon d80 and the 18-135mm lens (basically the kit) and a 4gig SD card, and all other appliances that come with the camera. It's in great condition as well, and can buy this package for 650$ Or on Amazon.com they have the Canon t1i kit that includes an 18-55mm lens (i think) for ~750ish. These are two cameras that stood out to me, is there anything else around that price range I should look at? Or would one of these camera's be my best bet?

EDIT: oh yeah also if you guys wouldn't mind posting the reasons as to why I should choose one over the other too, that would be awesome! and also the 18-135mm lens does not have IS or VR. and the 18-55 has IS.

The Nikon d80 is an outdated camera.

Get a modern camera. Even the cheapest Rebel will seriously outperform even much more expensive cameras (like the Nikon D200, which was a much better camera than the d80).

I shoot Canon, but as far as I know, those older long zoom range kit lenses are bad lenses.

If you get even the simplest Rebel and the kit lens 18-55 II you have a decent starter set.

Just read that a new Rebel comes out or has already come out that will have the same sensor as the 7D.

Hands off that old d80.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Hands off the Canon 30D as well.

This is an old camera. The 40 D is OK. You will like the much better viewfinder (penta prism) and it also handles better than the Rebels.

Don't know what Autofocus Canon puts into the Rebels. Never had one.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
^ I'm sorry, but that's just bad advice.

- Rebels do not "outperform" older cameras by default. the D80 and D200 are handicapped because of relatively poor sensor performance. the 30D is not.
- the 30D has a pentaprism viewfinder. it is not lacking in any performance or usability sense.
- the AF in new Rebels is equal, at best, to the 20/30D.

Apollo7011

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2009
So I just got a few more bucks in my pocket...any suggestions at the 1000$ish price range? I've been looking at alot of Canon 50d and Nikon d90 reviews, and most of them are saying it's just personal preference between those cameras. Any of you guys have any input on the matter? Or T2I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.