Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
We always lose something. In the past we've lost the ability for Image Capture to sort by aperture or other EXIF data. With Sierra we lost the ability in the security settings to install software from unidentified developers without having to first go into the security panel (annoying).

What do we lose this time?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
We always lose something. In the past we've lost the ability for Image Capture to sort by aperture or other EXIF data. With Sierra we lost the ability in the security settings to install software from unidentified developers without having to first go into the security panel (annoying).

What do we lose this time?

you can control-click on an unidentified developer package to open it without a visit to the security pane (and, as annoying as that is, think about the reason for such a process).

threads that discuss features, issues, threads that ask for help... seem so much more useful that a thread like this. just my opinion of course...

Last edited:
Reactions: tromboneaholic

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
There really isn't a reason for such a process. By default in Sierra you have to go into the control panel to select the master switch saying that you are willing to install software from unidentified developers. So you already have to be aware of the fact that you are turning that on. Then you have to enter your password with every install anyway.

As for this thread, I think it's very helpful. I want to know what I'm going to lose if I install the new OS. What little things they don't mention have disappeared or changed in some drastic way?

Reactions: beachmusic

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you always have a choice: move forward, or stay back. eventually (and that could be a long time), an app won't be supported, and you'll have to update (or abandon that app).

the 'unidentified developer' thing is one-time only; how many apps like that do you install every day? seems simple enough. meanwhile, what are you afraid of losing? and how does that weigh against what you gain? only you can really sort that out...

Reactions: HenryDJP

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
Well... I haven’t heard of radical losses in High Sierra. But the question is no nonsense.
Do you remember when QuickTime & System lost the ability to use additional codecs? It was a big thing to use... making every video/audio app able to import, work & export in desired file type. That was a big loss! , I think.
Sometimes, a small but radical change is important to someone. GarageBand lost the ability to open MIDI files for some time, so I kept old & new version in my mac (I believe GarageBand opens them again).
Hardware also loses important things as goes “newer”. Time ago, you could line-input sound in every mac, even plugging in Apple phone earbuds with mic & its controls to pause...etc (nice! Isn’t it?).
So: I’m interested. Any special “miss” in High Sierra?

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmusic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.