Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
The new MBPs are right around the corner and I'm curious what everyone here will be using/use their Macbooks for?

I personally will use mine for writing scripts/video editing, hobbyist programming, media consumption, and as my main computing device (in conjunction with a 4k LG monitor)

What about you?

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Bringing it to university. I use my iMac at home, but my current 2014 MacBook Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth, though for the most part still runs just fine. But yeah I’ve used that computer since high school and I’m doing my master’s degree in computer science now, so I think it’s served me well enough that it won’t be too sad to be replaced :p

The upcoming 16” will mostly be doing programming tasks. In addition to that I will also test it extensively with games which I am very excited to try out, in particular because it’ll be a fun discussion to have on the MacGameCast of which I am part. And a laptop that can actually run the subset of games available for macOS on the go really well will be very nice, especially for taking to my brother’s house and having some game time with him.

I also do audio and video work but I foresee mostly using the iMac for that; However I think setting up the laptop as a node in a shared Compressor setup might work nicely.

I’m really excited about the prospect of being able to take my laptop with me to uni without needing to always stay close to a wall outlet though. With a 2014 MacBook Pro that’s never had a battery replacement, I’m a bit of a wallhugger, haha

• Love
Reactions: The Clark

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I use my MBP M1 for fun mostly. It sits next to my work computer often and when I need a break I'll use it. Outside of work I may do some light stuff with VS Code or maybe do some light photo work.

• Love

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
  • solidworks running inside a windows 10 VM, fusion running in MacOS - for 3D modeling.
  • keyshot in MacOS for visual rendering.
  • final cut/motion/logic for video/audio production
  • Affinity designer/publisher/photo for graphics
  • battlefield 2142, age of empires 3 in bootcamp windows 10!

• Wow

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
  • solidworks running inside a windows 10 VM, fusion running in MacOS - for 3D modeling.
  • keyshot in MacOS for visual rendering.
  • final cut/motion/logic for video/audio production
  • Affinity designer/publisher/photo for graphics
  • battlefield 2142, age of empires 3 in bootcamp windows 10!
So very intensive stuff..
How does BF run on a Mac via Bootcamp? Do you hook it up to an external monitor?

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
So very intensive stuff..
How does BF run on a Mac via Bootcamp? Do you hook it up to an external monitor?
I did buy the fully loaded 15 inch machine back in 2013, but it still holds up well to my workload. I have upgraded the SSD with an OWC model and apple has replaced the battery and the display over the years. Cost around $3k back in the day, and the battery replacement + ssd was probably $1000. Display replacement was free.

8 years, $4000, $1.36 per day to own.

I have a 12 core Mac Pro 5,1 which I use for intensive rendering sessions (anything rendering longer than an hour or so.)

My rendering workload is the most intensive. Constant hammering on the CPU til the cows come home. I have no doubt I have aged this computer more than the average user would in 8 years.

Battlefield 2142 launched in 2006 and my computer rips it up at any resolution you could possibly want haha. Same with age of empires. I love older games. You may be thinking of the new battlefield 2042, which I do not run.

*edit* I just wanted to add that if and when this computer finally dies, I will buy a 2015. I will not buy a 2016 or newer and will certainly not use an M-whatever because it simply does not do what I do.

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The new MBPs are right around the corner and I'm curious what everyone here will be using/use their Macbooks for?

I personally will use mine for writing scripts/video editing, hobbyist programming, media consumption, and as my main computing device (in conjunction with a 4 LG monitor)

What about you?
Software development. Currently focused on VR / AR for while working on MSCS (Interactive Intelligence).

• Love

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I use my MBP 13" M1 for

1. PHP Web Development
2. Python Web Development with Django which is basically the first framework that I have ever used. (Just started teaching myself the language)
3. Photoshop and Photography
4. FCPX (Though I really don't do much video)
5. Very light gaming though the game graphics are beautiful.

I hooked up an external Monitor and moved my external G-Drives to the the MBP. I really like the Philips 279 as it helps me out on USB-C port and USB ports. Though I wish my cable management skills were better, but they have always been bad. 😂 I was using a 2017 iMac Pro that I still have that I use now for my photo printer, but I will eventually get rid (sell) it. I am really impress with the M1 chip as I thought it was going to give me major problems with the initial setup, but it so far has been just the opposite (knocking on wood). I can't get over how fast apps open up and Photoshop just is so easy now to use. I was a diehard PC user for over 40 years and I was even building my own towards the end. The main reason I switched over to Apple was I was constantly upgrading my computer's internals and not do anything really productive with the computer. I started to feel like I was addicted to upgrading. 😁

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm planning on getting an M1 Macbook Air soon. (my first Mac!)

My primary computer will still be my custom-built Windows machine for the time being. But I need a laptop for a few things on the road:

Reaper
Photoshop
Lightroom
Dumping memory cards
Other general web stuff

Like I said... my desktop is my main workhorse machine. But occasionally I have to edit a quick video or turnaround some photo edits on the road.

I'm interested in the M1 Macbook Air because of stellar battery life, no fans, and the opportunity to explore MacOS.

:)

SpartaMAC

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
NJ
As a Technical Support Manager I use it for remote access to many different system around the country. I probably use it 75% for remote access and the remaining 25% for Office functions. Also, I use a Windows VM for things I cannot do with the MAC. However, I find myself using my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro more and more and my MacBook less and less.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I use my 16 GB 2017 MacBook for almost nothing these days, just the very, very occasional presentation or trip.

That's because I'm now working from home full-time, and I have both a 2017 iMac as a primary machine and a tarted up old 2007 Mac Pro as a secondary machine. And for portable entertainment I have a 2017 iPad Pro with keyboard. (See my signature.)

Last edited:

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Everything. It will be my main computer. For me that means: web browsing, photo editing in Photoshop and Lightroom, light video editing in iMovie, music listening and organizing with the Music app and Roon or Audirvana, writing, and when I start grad school next year, taking notes.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I use my MBP 13" M1 for

2. Python Web Development with Django which is basically the first framework that I have ever used. (Just started teaching
Nice, I am a really big fan of Django. It's an excellent framework and I've only used it for one large project, it was an absolute treat.

Lots of good stuff listed here.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
I'm planning on getting an M1 Macbook Air soon. (my first Mac!)

My primary computer will still be my custom-built Windows machine for the time being. But I need a laptop for a few things on the road:

Reaper
Photoshop
Lightroom
Dumping memory cards
Other general web stuff

Like I said... my desktop is my main workhorse machine. But occasionally I have to edit a quick video or turnaround some photo edits on the road.

I'm interested in the M1 Macbook Air because of stellar battery life, no fans, and the opportunity to explore MacOS.

:)

You're in for a really big treat. I used to use my custom built PC for everything but the more I dove into MacOS I became addicted. Now my PC collects dust :)

Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Work—Citrix Workspace, school—online, personal; however, it acts as my portable device while I use my Mac Mini for more intensive work. Still working from home, so it’s nice to have the M1 to move around the house while working or out on the deck.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
My mid-2012 MBP 13" is my main machine atm since a lightning strike killed the charger for my Thinkpad. Those 170-watt monsters are not common...

Other than rendering and video/image processing, which I would need the EGPU for, and isn't supported in Big Sur, it does everything my mobile workstation does, just slightly slower. There is a lot of gaming via Stadia as well. The speed difference is not horrible by any means, but it's noticeable.

I might just dual boot and try out this MBP full time. I actually ended up enjoying using this old thing.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have a base 2020 i3 MBA that is used for routine tasks:

• Email/Messages/WhatsApp
  • Calendar/Contacts/Reminders
  • Notes
  • Productivity Apps (MS Office, iWork, Preview)
  • Web Browsing
  • Occasional iMovies: just glorified slide shows really
  • FaceTime/Zoom
  • Organizing, Editing Photos (simple stuff)
  • Watching Movies and Videos
I use my iPad for reading and casual computing. It is a nice mobile second screen. iPad is also good for annotating/marking-up documents. Finally, it's great for vacations and travel. I don't use my iPad for creating documents.

Edit: I would just add that, hands-down, the MacBook is my favorite device. As a family, we were introduced to Macs by our kids' laptop program. They had those white polyurethane MacBooks for middle school. Then, they used MBAs in high school and college. Commonly, we get 7+ years from our MacBooks. Great value. I loved my 2014 MBA. My current 2020 MBA has been flawless.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.