Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I would like to hear from photographers here about this camera and your opinion of the 4/3rds system that it uses. I've read the wiki page about it but I'm interested in first hand opinions.

Does anybody find the 25mm F2.8 "Pancake" lens interesting? I do.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
A friend had one and didn't like it.

Sorry he didn't say why he didn't like it, he just sold it and bought a Canon.. :(

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Dude, those links are amazing, I've heard about panasonic and other manufacturers lenses. Thanks.

Also, why did you get the camera in the first place?

As you seem to know about these cameras, why would you upgrade to the E-420. What differences are there between the 2? The Olympus hasn't standardised on feature sets between cameras but maybe you could fill me in?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Also, why did you get the camera in the first place?
Seemed the best available, for it's price when I got it...that Zuiko/Olympus lenses are just awesome value for money...

I also loved my old Olympus OM-1, which I bought used, and wore that completely down back in the 90s...

As you seem to know about these cameras, why would you upgrade to the E-420. What differences are there between the 2? The Olympus hasn't standardised on feature sets between cameras but maybe you could fill me in?
Live view, faster shutter response, better low light focusing, the list is long... add the image stabiliser on the E-510, and my poor "old" E-400 seems antiquated...Olympus has really been busy packing technology into the E-410 and E-420...

Don't get me wrong, I love my E-400, and will probably use that as my main camera for quite a while longer...it's a very capable little camera...

...but if I had the money I'd gotten the E-510 or perhaps E-420 and let my girlfriend "inherit" the E-400...maybe I'll win the lottery just as the E-520 is released...? ;)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I lent my friend my Canon 5D for a month and when I get it back (he is in Sierra Leone) I'm going to sell it for the Olympus E-420 with either the pancake lens and a wide zoom or just go for the wide zoom (the 11-22mm). The 14-35mm at F2.0 would be lush but I'm being realistic :).

I desire the portability this camera has to offer.

There is also a website selling the E-400 for only £200 with the kit lens. Seems like a good chance to test out the camera to see if I would like the E-420 further down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.