Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2021
I've all ways been looking forward to the next apple event because it brings new things to enjoy(and it also is enjoyable to just watch them really), what do you like about them?

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I think they are a bit flat being pre-recorded like they are. I miss the old Steve Jobs shows. These are like watching paint dry by comparison. I find the streamers version far more entertaining.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Nothing anymore. Jobs' performances felt like magical moments of a technological leader showing us what new incredible technology can do for us. These days the presentations feel like product showcases and spec sheets with a few boring adverts interlaced in to distract us from the fact that the presenters are uninteresting corporate people with no mythos behind them.

Reactions: smoking monkey

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2021
Nothing anymore. Jobs' performances felt like magical moments of a technological leader showing us what new incredible technology can do for us. These days the presentations feel like product showcases and spec sheets with a few boring adverts interlaced in to distract us from the fact that the presenters are uninteresting corporate people with no mythos behind them.
Yes they did, I wish they did that again

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What do I like about Apple events?

Being in the financial position to buy whatever it is they are introducing that year. That's happened once, in 2012.

Otherwise, I don't pay any attention. I can see what they've launched all at once later, because there is usually a big news dump right after the event.

Oh, and that 'One more thing' thing? That's always reminded me of Lieutenant Columbo when he's being his annoying best. Why don't you just start with the one more thing because that's the major announcement. Then you can have all the other stuff afterwards.

But no, they drag you through all the other stuff first - just like Lieutenant Columbo. The tease is just f*ing annoying.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva

Being in the financial position to buy whatever it is they are introducing that year. That's happened once, in 2012.

Otherwise, I don't pay any attention. I can see what they've launched all at once later, because there is usually a big news dump right after the event.

Oh, and that 'One more thing' thing? That's always reminded me of Lieutenant Columbo when he's being his annoying best. Why don't you just start with the one more thing because that's the major announcement. Then you can have all the other stuff afterwards.

But no, they drag you through all the other stuff first - just like Lieutenant Columbo. The tease is just f*ing annoying.
Ahh yes, Columbo my Dad's favourite detective. I liked the show and the actor but it got a bit repetitive. Speaking of actors, Steve Jobs was a consummate actor/salesperson. That's why the old keynotes are so fondly remembered even though they weren't always launching a tech breakthrough, and some clunkers came along too.

Appleinapot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2021

Yes it is very annoying

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I quite like the very slick animations of the Mac components at the Mac events (I used the screenshot of the M1 MBA‘s keys as my wallpaper for my short-lived M1 MBA trial run last year); and, yes, Craig’s coif is glorious. ?

And I like hearing about some of the hardware, especially the Macs. I enjoy the subsequent laughs as a result of their jargon too.

Reactions: Appleinapot

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
• Getting the information from the horses mouth.
• Loads of information in a short timeframe.
• Gorgeous images and videos.
• A huge variety of excellent (Or trained) speakers.

What I don't like:
• Itsthebestwe'veevermadeandwethinkyouaregoingtoloveitandIamsohappytoshowittoyounow on repeat.
• Cook saying the same things he has been repeating the last ten years, at the beginning and end of the show.
• That we know exactly how the keynote is going to be carried out, ie. they follow the same template every time, without anything out of the ordinary going on. See the comments on Jobs above.
• Developer previews. Good lord those are boring, even when they work properly. It is very rare I think that it is actually something worth watching. They are slow, has boring speakers, and often show off things I don't care a dime about.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
They used to be must watch for not just the tech but also Jobs. The showman was mesmerizing and in total command. And if something went wrong he would get a little narky. It showed how much it meant to him.

I found the MBP event undersold the machines a little. Here they have the biggest Mac announcement in forever and it’s split up into all these various presenters. I want passion, not slick transitions and awkward presenters.

And it looked like Tim was out there ready to cut some grass.

It was actually the first event I’ve watched since “can’t innovate my ass.” Say what you want about Phil, he was passionate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.