Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Hello!

What do you think about NIKON D 80? i would like to buy it, but firstly would like to know your opinion. Do anybody use it? What is dis/advantages?

THANK YOU

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I love mine, it's the best camera I've owned to date.
The only disadvantage I see is that it's a tad small (like all newer dslrs), but that's a matter of personal preference.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Great little camera. I always recommend it to my friends. I don't own one, as I already have its two big sisters, the D2X and D200, but I'm thinking about getting one (or, more likely, a D40)

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
In love with my D80

Like Oreo said, it is smaller than many of the DSLRs out there, which I like because for me it means that I am more likely to carry it with me.

The battery life is unbelievable. Fast, responsive and does everything I ask it to. Bright screen with great display options and menuing. The pop-up flash is entirely sufficient for most needs.

If I had to dredge up a complaint it would be that the autofocus is not quite flawless. I've taken a few soft shots in light that I would have thought more than sufficient for the autofocus system. But it is still a big jump ahead of my previous upscale point-n-shoot camera.

Get one and never look back.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Great camera, but it is due for an update. I probably wouldn't bother waiting too long, though. If they don't announce an update to the D80 within the next week or so, you may as well just buy the D80. It's a fantastic camera, and everyone gave it praise. It didn't suddenly become worse than it was when it was introduced, so it's still a very capable camera. :)

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Don't bother waiting for a D80 replacement if you're thinking about it, Nikon just released a press release on the D40x replacement, they aren't replacing the D80 for a little while yet. The new D60 (basically just a D40x with sensor dust remover) still isn't as good as the D80... I've had mine since it's release in the US.. Love every bit of it... Picking up the fabulous 70-200mm F/2.8 VR lens for it next month, which will make a huge improvement in the pictures I can take with it. I do a lot of indoor sports, and sports photography under cloudy conditions a lot..

In response to Eauboy's statement about poor autofocus I'm not quite sure what you are talking about there, the D80's AF system out shines any other DSLR in it's price range... It's never been anything but spot on accurate for me in the brightest and darkest of light, make sure you are using the right AF mode... It's probably user error....

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Just one more comment: one of the major benefits of getting a D80 (compared to the D40) is arguably the viewfinder: it's huge and finally feels about as big as that of my deceased F80 (I wear glasses, so that's very important).

The AF is very accurate with my bazooka zoom (2.8/80-200) and accurate with the battered and bruised kit lens (which I bought used).

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
In response to Eauboy's statement about poor autofocus I'm not quite sure what you are talking about there, the D80's AF system out shines any other DSLR in it's price range... It's never been anything but spot on accurate for me in the brightest and darkest of light, make sure you are using the right AF mode... It's probably user error....

Rev,

I know the D80's AF system is well regarded, and I certainly won't claim to be inerrant with the camera. Like I said, I am in love with my D80. But I have noticed some difficulty focusing in some situations, using the DX VR 18-200. It absolutely could be user error (a triple-check of the AF settings wouldn't hurt) but Flower asked for input and I provided my experience.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
But I have noticed some difficulty focusing in some situations, using the DX VR 18-200. It absolutely could be user error (a triple-check of the AF settings wouldn't hurt) but Flower asked for input and I provided my experience.
I think it's the aperture: any AF is faster and more accurate if the lens' aperture is larger.
I actually though I had focussing problems with my 80-200 zoom when I first got it. Then I found out that I was using AF-S (which is what I got used to) and the subject would move out of the focal plane. As the dof is so ridiculously small (few cm at full aperture), the pictures weren't as sharp as I had hoped … noobs! :D

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Most AF systems are based on contrast, the contrast between objects helps the camera distinguish what it's trying to focus on. If you are using a lens that lacks in contrast the AF might have more trouble in lower contrast scenes than otherwise regardless of aperture (though a larger aperture certainly helps a lot too!).

That's been my experience so far at least.

SLC

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Most AF systems are based on contrast, the contrast between objects helps the camera distinguish what it's trying to focus on. If you are using a lens that lacks in contrast the AF might have more trouble in lower contrast scenes than otherwise regardless of aperture (though a larger aperture certainly helps a lot too!).
All dslrs sold today use phase detection AFs, not contrast AFs that cheaper P&S use. (The exception to the rule are Nikon's new dslrs that employ contrast AF in live view mode, I think Olympus still uses its phase detection AF.) But generally speaking, more light helps more. Don't mean to be nitpicky :)

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
I just got my D80 and I love it.

I had a D50 before which I traded in to get the D80, and here's what I like about it:

- the large viewfinder (makes a HUGE difference to me).
- large lcd.
- shorter shutter lag time.
- faster continuous shooting.
- same size as the D50 (perfect fit for my hands).
- obviously the 10.2MP didn't hurt either.
- separate dials for shutter speed and f-stop controls.
- backlit top control panel. I don't know how I did any night shots without that!!

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I love my D80

Great pictures
The battery life is outstanding
Nice interface
Lightweight (pretty small which i like)
Nice screen for picture review and such
As Fiasco said, the seperate dials for shutter and f-stops is great.

Overall I really like it. This is my first DSLR so i can't compare it to other DSLR, sorry.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What do you think about NIKON D 80? i would like to buy it, but firstly would like to know your opinion.

Do you already have Nikon equipment? Would this be an upgrade. If it is then you can ask if the D80 will make better images or is there a more effective use of $900.

If you are just starting out with SLR cameras then you should ask if Nikon is the right company to go with. Do they make the lenses and other things you'd want to buy later. Think ahead 5 to 10 years. I'm biased. I have a Nikon system but there are good reasons to like Canon. Whichever way you go base the decision on the total system of bodies, lens and lighting that you might want. Look at the used markets too. then pick a brand.

The the D80 the right body? All the Nikon bodies are good but each
for a different buyer. For the person who is planning on building a larger SLR system with quality lenses, yes the D80 is good. But if you plan on just getting one "kit" lens or maybe one kit lens plus a low-end f/5.6 zoom lens then I'd suggest the D40x. In order to get the best bang per buck in an SLR system I think you need to spend a bit more then half the budget on lenses. So plan it out.

It's like buying a stereo system. "everyone" recommends spending maybe 60% of the budget on speakers. this has not changed in 30 years. Same here. A $900 body with a $100 lens will give worse results than a $500 body with a $500 lens. So when you look at the Nikon (or Canon) line of bodies pick the one with a price that will use roughly 1/2 of your budget. That said I would NOT recommend you spend your whole equipment budget at once. Space it out.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hello!

What do you think about NIKON D 80? i would like to buy it, but firstly would like to know your opinion. Do anybody use it? What is dis/advantages?

THANK YOU

What do you intend to shoot? How do you intend the images to be used? Overall, it's a very good camera, but if it's your first dSLR and you're not very experienced, I'd recommend going with a D40 and better lenses unless you're planning on getting some used AF-D lenses. Generally, since bodies get replaced fairly frequently with digital (the sensor is the film type and the film keeps getting better) go with the cheapest body you can get away with, unless you plan to print 20x30 *routinely* you won't notice a difference if you have the right lenses for what you're shooting.

hooly

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
I love my D80 to pieces, more and more the more I use it and experiment with different lens and lighting options :cool:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
*My default response*

A used D70s!! :D
A D80 has a much larger viewfinder: I've originally bought a used D70 off craigslist, it worked great, the picture quality was great, the UI was good. Then I tried a D80: its viewfinder is a substantial improvement over the D70(s), especially for someone with glasses.

Flowero4ka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Do you already have Nikon equipment? Would this be an upgrade. If it is then you can ask if the D80 will make better images or is there a more effective use of $900.

If you are just starting out with SLR cameras then you should ask if Nikon is the right company to go with. Do they make the lenses and other things you'd want to buy later. Think ahead 5 to 10 years. I'm biased. I have a Nikon system but there are good reasons to like Canon. Whichever way you go base the decision on the total system of bodies, lens and lighting that you might want. Look at the used markets too. then pick a brand.

The the D80 the right body? All the Nikon bodies are good but each
for a different buyer. For the person who is planning on building a larger SLR system with quality lenses, yes the D80 is good. But if you plan on just getting one "kit" lens or maybe one kit lens plus a low-end f/5.6 zoom lens then I'd suggest the D40x. In order to get the best bang per buck in an SLR system I think you need to spend a bit more then half the budget on lenses. So plan it out.

It's like buying a stereo system. "everyone" recommends spending maybe 60% of the budget on speakers. this has not changed in 30 years. Same here. A $900 body with a $100 lens will give worse results than a $500 body with a $500 lens. So when you look at the Nikon (or Canon) line of bodies pick the one with a price that will use roughly 1/2 of your budget. That said I would NOT recommend you spend your whole equipment budget at once. Space it out.

Wow, thank you the fullest reply I've ever had.

I'll try to touch all questions you've asked me. So, ChrisA, before I used Olympus brand and I liked it so much, I made photos - very high quality. But it crashed - to be exactly it's the round thing which "peeled off".. (oh, I don't know how to name it correctly - for circling it to choose a regime you need.)

So I've decided to buy new one. My photo teacher have advised me Nikon as brand, so I've stated to choose something suitable for me. I've read a description about Nikon D80 and I've liked it.

Olympus worked 2 hours and that's it... I had to charge it 2-3 times a day! So it was terrible. I'm VERY happy that some of you noticed the long battery life of D80. What is the approximate duration of it?

ChrisA, thank you for a wise advise. I agree, that "A $900 body with a $100 lens will give worse results than a $500 body with a $500 lens.".

compuwar, I can't say I'm very experienced, I'm just studying...

Hm, because of ChrisA and compuwar I'му become closer to D40 with an expensive lens. Is the life of battery long too, like D80? How about autofocus here, Eauboy?

Thank you again. You are helping so much with making a right choice!

Flower..

harilizard

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
San Diego, CA
d80

My first dslr and I couldnt be happier! The shutter lag is non existent, important for shooting kids. I even dropped it from waist level(I did break the fall with my foot) and it survived:p

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If you're going for the D80, you might as well spend just a little more and get a D200 instead (perhaps a used in EX+ condition that someone dumped to finance their D300 purchase).

You get a metal body and the ability to meter with manual focus AI/AI-S lenses, for starters.

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Battery life

I took my D80 to Sweden with two batteries and shot something like 600 images. I had to switch batteries a few times since the cold plays hell on them (it was January and we were well north of the Arctic circle at times). When we got back both batteries still had plenty of charge.

Over the summer I went back to Europe for two weeks and shot another 400 images or so. Some on-camera flash and some review on the viewfinder. Never had to change batteries. I've seen reliable reports of from 700 - 1400 shots on a single battery.

Absolutely keep a second battery charged and on-hand, but you'll rarely need it with the D80.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
In response the the autofocus issue that was brought up earlier in the thread. I just wanted to add that the 18-200mm isn't known for it;s sharpness, it's known for it's versatility, all-around use. If you wanted to see how sharp the autofocus is, try another lens.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Unless I'm mistaken, the D80 has no live view. If so, I say pfffffft....

It's not really acceptable in a new DSLR. And don't let the macho bs artists convince you that "you don't need live view, real men only use viewfinders"... well, that's like any progress in technology - it will be opposed by the dinosaurs... only to become standard later on.

Having live view is a tremendous boost to the usability of the camera. You don't have to use it, but then, you don't have to have automatic starters in cars - you can always rely on the hand-crank like they did in cars in the 1920's.

Get with the times. As long as you're shelling out money, buy a modern DSLR.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
why would you want live view if you shoot in sunny or bright conditions where there will be glare ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.