Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t_t16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
Hi everyone,
I actually opened my mid-2014 MBP to remove dust from the inside, and found this..
Do you think it's still safe to use, or should I replace it asap ? The battery condition is still pretty good though.
received_590152811733512.jpeg

TIA for your answers !

Last edited:

JemTheWire

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
Personally, if it was me, I would play safe and replace it. Something is going on there.

I would not even leave that in my house in case it ‘goes up’.

My wife had an iPhone 3GS battery fail. It just went pop as she was holding it and the display was pushed up. I literally just grabbed it off her and through it out of the house. It didn’t actually catch fire, but it swelled up like a ballon and wouldn’t chance it.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Do you think it's still safe to use, or should I replace it asap ?
Ummmm, YES, replace it please!!!

The battery you've pictured there appears to be very close to an outer casing breach.
A breach of the battery's casing (however small) will result in a catastrophic run-away chemical reaction. Put another way - a fire.

Need an example? See here

Edit: If you're planning to be on any flights with that thing in your backpack, let me know your flight numbers, so I can rebook my flight in the event we happen to be on the same flight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.