Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bleufire

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2007
Looks kinda like my flickr page...

Well, Your photos came out nicely. I mean, IQ wise they look nice and crisp. It seems like you having fun with the aperture of your new toy (I would know cause i just got my first DSLR in december and Aperture was the first thing i played with on the camera)

Your pictures though, I think you need to get in your car and take a day trip somewhere and find whatever you can to take pictures of. Your entire Flickr page looks like you composed whatever you found around your house and decided to snap photos here and there.

I ride a motorcycle and a couple of times now i have packed it away and take it with me to rides i take. I stop every hour or so somewhere nice and take random pictures.

Again, i don't want to offend you or anything cause i did the same thing when i got my first DSLR and i noticed it when i was playing with my photos in iPhoto I realized that none of my photos really had that much interest in them. Follow your dog around though, you can get some really cool shots with animals doing some cute stuff.

Go to some forums online that specializes in photography. Look at other peoples photos and get a feel for how you can fix your photos before you even shoot them. I read up on peoples comments all the time and realize what can be done before i make the mistake.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Agreed, unless it's a photo of an animal.

Either way I think the one with the spent shells is a good start. Tone it correctly and get the shells sharper, darken the edges and you have a decent stock photo.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Well, Your photos came out nicely. I mean, IQ wise they look nice and crisp. It seems like you having fun with the aperture of your new toy (I would know cause i just got my first DSLR in december and Aperture was the first thing i played with on the camera)

Your pictures though, I think you need to get in your car and take a day trip somewhere and find whatever you can to take pictures of. Your entire Flickr page looks like you composed whatever you found around your house and decided to snap photos here and there.

I ride a motorcycle and a couple of times now i have packed it away and take it with me to rides i take. I stop every hour or so somewhere nice and take random pictures.

Again, i don't want to offend you or anything cause i did the same thing when i got my first DSLR and i noticed it when i was playing with my photos in iPhoto I realized that none of my photos really had that much interest in them. Follow your dog around though, you can get some really cool shots with animals doing some cute stuff.

Go to some forums online that specializes in photography. Look at other peoples photos and get a feel for how you can fix your photos before you even shoot them. I read up on peoples comments all the time and realize what can be done before i make the mistake.

Absolutely no offense taken at all! I really like constructive criticism.
I really need to start taking my camera places. Just this evening was I was running I saw 2 birds on a telephone wire kissing. I think it would have been an awesome picture!

I am just experimenting now, and trying out how to use this thing :)

Well, I'd prefer you to shoot photos than animals. :(

Haha!

Either way I think the one with the spent shells is a good start. Tone it correctly and get the shells sharper, darken the edges and you have a decent stock photo.

Ya I agree, Spent Shells needs to be redone. That was a 'hand-held' shot with a slower shutter speed. I will try using my tripod and making some adjustments to the lighting. Then some touch up in photoshop.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

It's surprisingly difficult to get a good arrangement of spent brass, but for a stock photo, the Realtree cammo branding has to go.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think it was already said nicely, in that, it looks like you just ran around shooting whatever was laying around your house. While not bad, not good either. I'm certainly not one to really speak since I haven't really touched my camera in ages, but I can say that overall none of the photos really had much interest.

I can say this. Don't be afraid to get down on your knees for a shot. Don't be afraid (unless afraid of heights) to climb for a shot. Don't be afraid to get a little dirty to take an otherwise clean shot. I would venture to guess you did little to no composing of any shot, you were always firmly planted on the ground, and you shot and hoped for the best.

For example, the shot of your new Shimano Stradic FI 3000 reel should be a macro at best. The carpet distracts. The owl should be isolated away from that house. Fill the frame or provide a better background that is more relevant to his true surroundings. The dog photo is a good example of how getting down to his/her level would have improved the shot slightly. Taking it from above seems more like a snapshot.

I had a photo teacher once who said "just because you named a photo doesn't mean it is a good picture." I haven't really spent much time naming photos since then. In other words "Snakes" is really just what you said, A bunch of tangled bungee cords. Naming it didn't convey any real sense of being just just it had a name. Someone around here takes photos of blurry lights and such, it seems to be all they do. They name the photos things like Despair, Uncertainty, etc. In the end they're all photos of blurred light streaks that appear to be nothing more than mistakes.

All in all you've done the hard part. You've bought the camera. If you're not sure what really interests you then start with taking that day trip that someone recommended and then moving onto other things. You'll see in the photo of the day thread that the avid posters all have their thing. One is heavy on architecture and has done amazing things with that. He has a great eye. Another tends to find wonderful fields and mountain ranges and takes some great shots. He seems to have a fair amount of time on his hands and most likely waits for the best light. Another seems to travel around with his camera from place to place and typically lands a good shot. There's no one direction towards architecture, portraiture, or landscape, but still he manages to stick out. You don't have to shoot any one thing, but try them all. Macro, portraits, landscape, architecture, etc.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ya I agree, Spent Shells needs to be redone. That was a 'hand-held' shot with a slower shutter speed. I will try using my tripod and making some adjustments to the lighting. Then some touch up in photoshop.

It gave me an idea for a poster- just did some shots in the studio, not sure if I'll reshoot or keep what I have though. I won't clog your thread up with my pic, but thanks for jump-starting an idea!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Your exposures look pretty good (or are you shooting on the green dial?) The Nikon D40 is great camera to start out with. My girlfriend has one, and absolutely loves it. The best advise is to keep practicing. It also helped me that I bought and read photography books and magazines as well. Nice start though.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
I'm not sure if this will make any sense, but try not to shoot "nouns" and try aiming for "verbs" or "adjectives." The best is really "exclamations" but they're pretty rare.

Either that or try renaming your shots. "The pod" is very appropriate but not really that exciting.

Other than that, keep shooting!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Good pictures. Nice work right out of the chute. ...and by all means keep hunting animals. This is one of the reasons they were placed in their position of the food chain :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.