Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
California
What do you guys think about this picture? I still a beginner in this hobby so give me some pointers! Thanks.

roadcopy.jpg

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
First of all I would remove the "JCampbell Photography". If you're a beginner, and you're describing it yourself as a hobby, there is very little reason to try to pass for a professional.

For me the real draw in this image is the undulating hills and landscape, yet half the image is taken up by a road. See if you can get higher, if you can get that road dropping off at the 1/3 mark from the bottom of the picture.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
First of all I would remove the "JCampbell Photography". If you're a beginner, and you're describing it yourself as a hobby, there is very little reason to try to pass for a professional.
<-- agreed

Next, the point is that all lines lead towards the hills (the yellow line, the street, the wire on the posts. But that point seems to be not your focus and its just a dark area with no interest.. its like a black hole..
my opinion, nothing more :)

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
The colours and environment are great. It's a tad underexposed. Also, the lines lead nowhere as someone already said. And the lines are placed dead-centre in the middle of the picture, so is the landscape in the background.

You could have shifted the camera down more so that the background is in the top third of the photo. If there was a turn in the road, you could have tried the shot there as well, it may have been a little more interesting.

It's by no means a "terrible" picture. Just compositionally there are some choices that you could have made differently to make a more interesting photo.

I like that you recognized the leading lines in the photo, but at this angle they don't really lead anywhere. The photo needs something in the middle ground. There's just a foreground and background to this photo.

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
California
First off the watermark was just for fun as of no means was I trying to look professional. And I was going for the road to no where feel with the lines. Thanks for comments!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.