Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bananabar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I've got a Nikon D80 and was hoping to use PS Elements to touch-up my RAW images but am a bit disappointed with the results. Am I missing a link in the RAW chain?

How do you do it??

buywisdom

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2005
I've got a Nikon D80 and was hoping to use PS Elements to touch-up my RAW images but am a bit disappointed with the results. Am I missing a link in the RAW chain?

How do you do it??

I am not sure if this works with Elements but Adobe Camera Raw is a different window from PS. You can make parametric changes to an image. The newest Version (i think 5.1) can be downloaded for free at adobe.com but you need PS for it to work. My guess is it also works with Elements but I am not sure.

fivegrand

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Despite LR2's recent release and drastic improvements in NEF processing, it (and ACR in PS) still not friendly with NEF's.

You should use Nikon Capture NX for your NEF file processing until Adobe gets a clue and quits butchering them.

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
Not sure what your budget is, but $200 for Aperture is money well spent, especially when you start adding plug-ins like Noise Ninja, Color Efex Pro 3, etc. I've gotten to really love this program, it just takes a little time to learn the the more advanced fearures, but it's well worth it. :)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

How do you do it??

Raw Photo Processor is my favorite- it's very capable and free- you just have to remember to switch to AHD before saving. Capture NX is what I use for anything that doesn't come out right in RPP, followed by Bibble Pro if I need to do lens correction.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

How do you do it??

I use Aperture and then only some of the photos go to Photoshop CS3.

What to use depends on what you need to do. Could you tell us what you mean by "touch-up" and what you didn't like about the result. Given this info some one might be able to suggest something better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.