Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oliver.s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
This feature seems to be quite new.

I assume it works like this:
- I connect to a personal hotspot for the first time and tell the Mac to remember it.
- The Mac saves the hotspot. By default Auto-Join (under Wi-Fi > Preferred Networks) is activated for this hotspot.
- If Ask to join Personal Hotspots is activated, the Mac asks me to join the hotspot if no other Wi-Fi networks are available. (The Mac will never connect automatically, it will just ask.)
- If Ask to join Personal Hotspots is deactivated, the Mac just ignores the hotspot, even if Auto-Join (under Wi-Fi > Preferred Networks) is still activated for the hotspot.
- The Mac will never ask me to connect to a personal hotspot which is not saved under Wi-Fi > Preferred Networks, even if Ask to join Personal Hotspots is activated.

The thing I would like to avoid is that my Mac keeps asking me to connect with random personal hotspots (at a cafe, for example).

Would be glad to get feedback on this.

(I'm aware that there's some additional functionality if two devices are connected to the same iCloud account. My goal here is to just understand the basics.)

oliver.s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
It's funny how setting up Apple devices has become an esoteric doctrine over the years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.