Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
iMac > iTunes > For You (Music sub) > a track > … three dots on right under track time > Start Station (under Play Next)

What does Start Station do? Does it add the track to a customised station? Can I see what the contents of that station are? Is it just tracks that I've "loved" ? I can't work it out. It almost looks like it's playing other tracks of albums which contain that particular track, but I'm not sure.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Nah, it's not new Geek Speak, it's just the 21st century interpretation of the old school radio station.

Clicking on "Start Station" will prompt you to join Apple Music.

Here's the exact verbiage from iTunes Help:

"With Apple Music Radio, you can enjoy on-demand radio that’s tailored for you from the most popular music in the iTunes Store. You can tune in to featured stations included with iTunes, or create your own stations based on your musical tastes. Apple Music Radio is available to Apple Music members only."

Stations are basically the streaming audio versions of radio stations, curated playlists of various music genres (e.g., Classical, Workout, Hits By Decade). Other streaming audio services (e.g., Pandora, Spotify) have similar features.

In the case of Apple Music, the stations are advertising free. Many of the stations are actively curated by live human beings (DJs, celebrities, etc.). You can become your own "station manager" by adding songs and editing it use "play more like this" or "play less like this."

More a more detailed description, please visit the Apple Music page on their website. There's also a free trial, you can check it out before committing to a paid subscription.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
OK, I'm actually already subscribed to Apple Music, and I'm clicking the Start Station button which is on the right hand side of the track I'm listening to. I have been to Apple Music and looked at all the guides, but there is no explanation that I can find of what this particular station is, how the music for it is being chosen, or how I can influence that choice.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I'm not an Apple Music subscriber myself. Your best course of action would seem to be contacting Apple Music support directly or to consult any online help documentation you might find.

I'd start with this page to see if it answers any of your questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.