Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
If I don't exclude anything in my Time Machine settings, what doesn't macOS actually back up / restore? I recently sent my Mac in for a hardware repair and was surprised to find that the technicians wiped my hard drive, so I'm restoring from a Time Machine backup I made right before taking it in to the Genius Bar, but I'm just curious if there is anything at all that doesn't make it over. I believe items in the Trash are not backed up, which has a logic to it, and I presume cache and temporary folders don't get backed up but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
If I don't exclude anything in my Time Machine settings, what doesn't macOS actually back up / restore? I recently sent my Mac in for a hardware repair and was surprised to find that the technicians wiped my hard drive, so I'm restoring from a Time Machine backup I made right before taking it in to the Genius Bar, but I'm just curious if there is anything at all that doesn't make it over. I believe items in the Trash are not backed up, which has a logic to it, and I presume cache and temporary folders don't get backed up but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help!

As far as I know, it backs up absolutely everything that's on your hard drive. Someone posted a link to this archived Apple website page:

1628796059356.png

Reactions: jazzbansal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.