Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. In a month or two I might be looking into getting a DSLR. My budget is about $500 so I would like to get a used one. I really was hoping you guys could suggest a good one that is pretty easy to use. I was looking at Cannon and Nikon but I'm not sure what I would be able to get based on my budget. That budget unfortunately must include a lense. Like I said, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for so thats why I posted here.:)

Any Help Appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Dunno about the prices now, but I love my Nikon D70 with 18-70 kit lens. Excellent pics and a good lens, probably better than most kit lenses.

I'd imagine that a decent used one shouldn't be too far off your budget.

Edit: Here's one on eBay - only $399 at the moment. Looks like a good offer, if legit.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
schaef2493 said:
Hi. In a month or two I might be looking into getting a DSLR. My budget is about $500 so I would like to get a used one.

That is a reasonable budget for either of the 6MP cameras. The D50 or 300D. But look ahead. You will want to buy another lens some day. Don't try and save $20 today only to be forced to pay $200 tomorrow. Figure out what that next lens or next two lenses might be or even what the next DSLR body will be in five years. Once you buy into an SLR system it is expensive to switch brands, You'd not want to make a brand decision based simply on yur luck with an Ebay auction, think a little longer term.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. Where can I find a Digital Rebel EOS New at that price? I looked on eBay, didn't really see anything. Most of them were used for like $600 and didn't come with a lense, and yes the EOS one.

Thanks, Kevin

Edit: ChrisA, I was typing this post when you posted that. Can you guys recommend a specific brand based off of what Chris said? I don't know too much on SLRs, my point for posting. Thanks Again

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
You can try for a Canon Digital Rebel (also known as a 300D - search under both names, since it has two different names depending on what region you're in) or a Nikon D50 for around $500 used. (I really don't know where you can find a NEW 300D + lens for $500!) You could try to get a body + a 50mm 1.8 lens (used) to learn with, I doubt that will break the bank. The kit lens it good for learning with though, and it doesn't seem that you know much about SLR's..?

Finding something for $500 might be a little tough, good luck! You'll definitely be able to find something in the $600-$650 range if you can stretch your budget.

Do you absolutely need a DSLR? You might want to look into a semi-DSLR (forgot the actual name), which can do most everything manual, but are cheaper and have a fixed lens. (but you can buy attachments)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Which will be waaaay over budget. It does force the price of the d70s to drop a bit, though.

I'd just get a kit lens and be done with it. They're not that bad. They may show some chromatic abberation and flare, but that doesn't mean the photos they take are useless. It only means the photo may contain elements that make the image slightly worse to the trained eye. ;)

They usually have good magnification ratios close to 1:4, so they're not bad if you want to take a quasi-macro.

Look into Olympus if you want cheaper. They have great price:performance ratio. I know it's not a Canon, which has a massive chunk of the market, but that doesn't mean Olympus or Nikon are bad at all. ;)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Abstract said:
^^Which will be waaaay over budget.
Oh yes that big bad word. :eek:

It will be over $500 and the OP is looking for something good, but something used, to which I'd say try either the Canon 350D or Nikon D50 on eBay.

Here are some possibilities currently under $500:

Nikon D50:
New: http://cgi.ebay.com/ALL-New-Nikon-D...QQihZ015QQcategoryZ122616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
New: http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digit...8QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43456QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Canon 350D:
New: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Canon...QQihZ008QQcategoryZ107909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Refurbished: http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-DIGIT...QQihZ015QQcategoryZ107909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
New? http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Rebel-XT-...QQihZ003QQcategoryZ107900QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Alright guys. I think Canon and Nikon are both good brands and i'm stuck between the EOS Rebel and the D50.:cool: Anyone?

Thanks, Kevin

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Either will suit you brilliantly. Both are excellent cameras, and only fanboys will tell you that one is FAR superior to the other. I was looking at the D70 v the EOS 300D or 350D (the XT) when I was buying and I ended up getting Nikon as the reviews seemed to favour it a bit more, and I preferred the feel of it in my hand to the 350D, but get the one that's right for you. The D70 is heavier than the 300D, but I kinda like that as it just felt more substantial and sturdy in my hand. If you can get into a store to try out the feel of them, you will know more. remember that you will be carrying it about, so features aren't everything.

Try Steves Digicams or dcresource to have a look at them.

If you are going for a Nikon, try to get the 18-70 lens - it's supposed to be much better than the 18-55.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.