Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
So I get Canon 40D with 28-130 kit lenses and additionally 24-70L lens. Its for my GF Im not great photographer. The deal was good I got camera with kit lens for 1265 at CC. I also got 2 4GB cards (sandisk). Now Im looking for the advice .....What else will she need? Any additional stuff I should get? She has tripod and flash, so no need for that. Thanks!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
awesome setup!

A fast prime will be very very useful. For your budget range, I'd recommend the 50mm f/1.4 lens. Depending on the type of stuff she wants to shoot, we could make more recommendations. For instance, Canon makes 4 different versions of its acclaimed 70-200mm lens, from $600-$1600 in price range. There is some focal length overlap with the kit lens, but the 70-200mm is of tremendous quality.

What else does she like to shoot?

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
She is in style/modeling/haircut business.....generally beauty issues which I dont know much about:cool:, so it would be models mostly. Lets make it 75%, when 25% would be anything else. But no sports, wildlife and so on. I also thought of buying her Lowepro CompuDaypack Camera Bag so it will accommodate camera and MB
By the way I would love to stay in 1000$ range cos already spent too much :)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Then you definitely don't need anything over 200mm.

If the model stuff is serious, I would definitely get some good prime lenses. The 50mm I mentioned before is good, the 50mm f/1.2L is even better, but 4x as much ($1250). Other primes to consider: 135mm f/2L ($900), 85mm f/1.2L ($1675). If she is in business for this stuff (ie. can spend a bit more because it will help the business) than it is worth it to get some top notch glass.

Someone will surely mention lighting soon too.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
She can use her friend studio, so light, screens are already there. Ouch...1250$ thats more than I'm willing to spend right now. But I will get her 50/1.4, thats still in my range for now!
Thanks for help!!
edit:someone on macrumors want to trade 70-200L for 28-135+cash to total 525$. You think it would be god move?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Then you definitely don't need anything over 200mm.

If the model stuff is serious, I would definitely get some good prime lenses. The 50mm I mentioned before is good, the 50mm f/1.2L is even better, but 4x as much ($1250). Other primes to consider: 135mm f/2L ($900), 85mm f/1.2L ($1675). If she is in business for this stuff (ie. can spend a bit more because it will help the business) than it is worth it to get some top notch glass.

Someone will surely mention lighting soon too.

The sharper the lens used for portraits, the more time she'll have to spend fixing up skin texture, blemishes, eyes and the like in Photoshop. If she's not big into Photoshop, she may be better-served with something that isn't ultra-sharp. Even the best models tend to need some PS work, but you really don't want to spend a lot of time trying to smooth out makeup particles if you can help it.

Since she'll be shooting with controlled lighting and distance, faster lenses won't bring much to the table other than DoF _if_ the lights go down low enough to shoot a lens open that far, or it's an extra-large studio and she doesn't mind moving the lights far out (which is a negative with some modifiers like softboxes.)

If she doesn't already have Photoshop, that's worth getting, otherwise I think you've done well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
She is in style/modeling/haircut business.....generally beauty issues which I dont know much about:cool:, so it would be models mostly. Lets make it 75%, when 25% would be anything else. But no sports, wildlife and so on. I also thought of buying her Lowepro CompuDaypack Camera Bag so it will accommodate camera and MB

Skip the bag, get a hard Pelican case if she won't be backpacking. If she is shooting models indoors she will want a tripod too. The pelican 1510 is good it's an airline cary-on sized roller case Normally I'd recommend a very sturdy one buy she can get be with something light. You need a tripod indoors so you can leave the camera setup while you walk over to adjust something else. Also it lets you interact more with the subject becasue your face is not hidden in back of the camera. She can use an IR remove shutter release too. (same reason)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The sharper the lens used for portraits, the more time she'll have to spend fixing up skin texture, blemishes, eyes and the like in Photoshop.

The old 1930's Hollywood trick still used by studio photographers today is to put a black or a white net over the lens. You can buy filters with the net inside the glass. The work well, softens skin but does not de-focus the subject. Putting the lights inside a "softbox" or even an umbrella helps too. Nothing wrong with using an ultra-sharp 85 or 50mm. You may want it for children but women over 40 to 50 maybe the net-filter thing is the way to go.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Now Im looking for the advice .....What else will she need? Any additional stuff I should get? She has tripod and flash, so no need for that. Thanks!

What kind of flash (make and model)? If it's an older one, there is a chance that its voltage is too high for the camera. If so, it will fry the camera's circuitry.

She is in style/modeling/haircut business.....generally beauty issues which I dont know much about:cool:, so it would be models mostly. Lets make it 75%, when 25% would be anything else. But no sports, wildlife and so on.

Models? I'd say the 50 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.8.

I also thought of buying her Lowepro CompuDaypack Camera Bag so it will accommodate camera and MB

She needs to pick this on her own. Some people like backpacks, while others like messenger bags. It's really a personal choice.

Well, for $1000 I'd go with this (from B&H Photo):

EF 85mm f/1.8 - $315 with rebate
Hood for 85mm - $25
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - $425 with rebate
Sunpak 383 flash - $80 (if current flash isn't compatible)
Impact 8 ft light stand - $35
Flash adapter for light stand - $15
PC sync cord - $10
60" Softlighter II - $85

Total = $990 sans shipping.

This would be a nice portrait/modeling setup.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The old 1930's Hollywood trick still used by studio photographers today is to put a black or a white net over the lens. You can buy filters with the net inside the glass. The work well, softens skin but does not de-focus the subject. Putting the lights inside a "softbox" or even an umbrella helps too. Nothing wrong with using an ultra-sharp 85 or 50mm. You may want it for children but women over 40 to 50 maybe the net-filter thing is the way to go.

I'd definately recommend the 85mm over the 50mm if you have the cash seeing how that is her primary focus.
As for the net, the other idea is hairspray on a uv filter. Yes, it does work. ;)

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

They were predominately silk stockings in the 30's and nylon pantyhose in the 50's and 60's from what I've read.

Teens with acne, girls in their 20's with blemishes, lines and wrinkles in the 30's, unless you're shooting for character portraits or boxers it's my experience that less detail is better. If you've got women in their teens, 20's and 30's who like their portraits straight out of an ultra-sharp lens please send some of them my way! In fact, send 'em all!

(I'm dealing with a few "me and my sister want a Christmas portrait for mom"'s right now and so far I've seen *one* where the skin was clear enough that PP wasn't a factor. I've been seriously considering getting a consumer zoom to shoot with just to cut down on the PP time!)

My umbrellas don't seem to help, and I normally key with a soft box for H&S or a strip box for upper/full body portraits and I'm still in healing brush and clone tool hell.

YMMV

joytime365

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007

Yes I think this suggestion is quite good.

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
Thanks for help everyone!! I went for now with 85mm f1.8 and hood for this and 28-135. She has access ti lights and will just get her a gift card for few hundred so she can pick whatever else she needs!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.