Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hello MR'ites!
It's been a while since I last posted. Anyhow, my dad and I are going out to the east coast this week to look at Columbia and Princeton Universities, see family, and explore NYC a bit. I really want to take some photos, but I'll be rather occupied with things other than photography. Thus, I figured that bringing my complete kit (1D, Elan 7, 70-200/4L, 17-40/4L, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, SB-26, LowePro slingshot 300) would probably not be the best idea.

My presumption is that either a 17-40 + 50/1.8 or 17-40 +85/1.8 would work well. FWIW, I'm not bringing the film body, so any lenses brought would be on a 1.3x body. Which of these combos would work better? Is it OK that I'm leaving the 70-200 and one of the primes at home? I don't really think I should need a flash, lightstand, or any other misc. gear other than my camera, lenses, batteries, charger, cards, and reader. Am I forgetting anything?

Finally, I need to figure out how to carry my gear. It'd be ideal to have my slingshot bag with me, but since we're not renting a car (which implies walking and public transit), I'm only bringing a bag for my clothes to keep in a hotel room and something else for my laptop and photo gear. Since the LowePro bag doesn't exactly accommodate the laptop, I think I'll have to carry the camera, laptop, and whatever random college brochures I pick up in my trusty Swiss Army backpack (basic backpack, used for school). It has a nice padded laptop compartment and plenty of room for everything else, but I'm not sure of how well it would protect my camera/lenses from the expected jostling of the NYC subway. Any suggestions for either protecting the camera in the school backpack or getting a laptop securely fitted into the LowePro?

Thanks a lot!
-Will

Eauboy

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Washington, DC
Can you leave the laptop behind? Can you check in to the hotel room and leave the laptop behind while you're out on foot?

Less is more. Carry the camera and one lens (17-40?), one spare charged battery and that's it. Don't do much/any flash and you'll make it easily.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My presumption is that either a 17-40 + 50/1.8 or 17-40 +85/1.8 would work well. FWIW, I'm not bringing the film body,

Bring one body with a lens attached and leave everytrhing else. I'd favor wide angle over anything else. Your 17-40 would be perfect. How to carry it? Use a shoulder strap when you are shooing and wrap it in a small towel or jacket and put it in a backpack. I prefer to use a jacket or sweatshirt to pad a camera because it was multiple uses - I can put it on it it gets cold.

Will you actually use the notebook computer. If not leave it.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Wow, thanks for the replies, everyone! I think I'll bring the 1D, 17-40/4L, and one of the primes. I think the 50 makes more sense, but I'd be willing to hear arguments for the 85.

I'll need the laptop on the trip, but I think I'll just leave it in the hotel room while I'm exploring the campuses.

I definitely want a tripod with me, since a lot of the shots I'm envisioning are HDR or night shots (gotta love those long exposures with blurred car lights). Unfortunately, my 'pod doesn't exactly fit nicely into my backpack. Should I just cram it in, or is there some other easy way to carry tripods that I'm overlooking? Or would a cheap, small travel monopod keep my camera steady enough to get sharp 1 sec. exposures at 17mm?

Thanks again!
-wmmk

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I definitely want a tripod with me, since a lot of the shots I'm envisioning are HDR or night shots (gotta love those long exposures with blurred car lights). Unfortunately, my 'pod doesn't exactly fit nicely into my backpack. Should I just cram it in, or is there some other easy way to carry tripods that I'm overlooking? Or would a cheap, small travel monopod keep my camera steady enough to get sharp 1 sec. exposures at 17mm?

Thanks again!
-wmmk

Does your tripod have a handle? If so, you could use a carabiner to attach it to the outside of your bag. This way you get quick access to it too, no need to open up your bag. I absolutely LOVE carabiners when traveling (works well with attaching draw string bags to the outside of the main backpack too etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.