Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Pardon my ignorance on iOS but the phone in question is my wife's. It is an iPhone 6 and is running 10.3.1. I hooked it into iTunes today to install some instructional MP4's for her and after I had synced, I had planned to check them but could not find the Videos icon . Has this app been removed from iOS or has she somehow inadvertently removed the icon? I thought that certain apps could not be removed. If she has only removed the icon, is there any way to get it back? She still seems to have Videos on her iPad.

I have VLC on her phone but I would rather stick with Videos as that is what she is used to on the iPad. Thanks

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Pardon my ignorance on iOS but the phone in question is my wife's. It is an iPhone 6 and is running 10.3.1. I hooked it into iTunes today to install some instructional MP4's for her and after I had synced, I had planned to check them but could not find the Videos icon . Has this app been removed from iOS or has she somehow inadvertently removed the icon? I thought that certain apps could not be removed. If she has only removed the icon, is there any way to get it back? She still seems to have Videos on her iPad.

I have VLC on her phone but I would rather stick with Videos as that is what she is used to on the iPad. Thanks
If you're in the US the Videos app was replaced with the TV app. Otherwise you can get it on the App Store.
iOS 10 does allow you to remove some app icons you couldn't in the past.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
If you're in the US the Videos app was replaced with the TV app. Otherwise you can get it on the App Store.
iOS 10 does allow you to remove some app icons you couldn't in the past.
Thanks for pointing this out. I checked out the TV app and of course her videos were there but I found the interface not very intuitive. It landed on the intro, then I had to find the Library, then find the Home Videos. Her Ipad Videos app has Home videos right on top and that all it takes.

Excuse a little rant but this is why I have an Android phone despite being a committed Mac user. I get to choose my own apps. By the same token, I won't buy a Samsung either as they too force their native apps on you.

Thanks for your help and quick reply. I think it is time to start my wife on VLC. The upside is that I won't have to do any more conversions either.

Edit: The Videos app may have been available on the US app store for a while but it doesn't seem to be there now.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for pointing this out. I checked out the TV app and of course her videos were there but I found the interface not very intuitive. It landed on the intro, then I had to find the Library, then find the Home Videos. Her Ipad Videos app has Home videos right on top and that all it takes.

Excuse a little rant but this is why I have an Android phone despite being a committed Mac user. I get to choose my own apps. By the same token, I won't buy a Samsung either as they too force their native apps on you.

Thanks for your help and quick reply. I think it is time to start my wife on VLC. The upside is that I won't have to do any more conversions either.

Edit: The Videos app may have been available on the US app store for a while but it doesn't seem to be there now.

I hardly call this being forced on you. All they did was "update" the app. I personally think its a cleaner look and is more like the look of the Music app.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013

Yeah, the Videos app is now only available outside of the US as of a previous iOS 10 update. The TV app replaces it. The only way to get Videos is to use a non-US Apple ID, but that obviously can cause other issues.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah, the Videos app is now only available outside of the US as of a previous iOS 10 update. The TV app replaces it. The only way to get Videos is to use a non-US Apple ID, but that obviously can cause other issues.
I have the videos app on my 10.3.1 devices with a US account. The app disappeared for a while but came back somehow.

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I have the videos app on my 10.3.1 devices with a US account. The app disappeared for a while but came back somehow.
Really? The app usually changes when you're signed in to the App/iTunes Store with an account from a certain region.

choiceweb0pen0

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
Texas
One big change between the videos app and the TV app is downloaded tv shows won't play episodes of a show's season continuiously which was a great feature on car trips with a toddler. As far as I can tell, each episode has to be played one at at time. The centralizing of streaming programs from different apps/providers is nice, but not super useful on car trips through erratic cell service. Thankfully we can download a few movies in the Netflix app.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
What I perceive is a gradual movement in which "updates" to apps push people more and more to use streaming services rather than their own material. You really have to look to Apple's motives. Certainly those motives don't result in users having more options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.