Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bard2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
It's so looooooong,
I have been waiting for the new iMac 27" 5K for over 18 months,
But it is just no new iMac 27" 5K version release.
And I am worried there is a new model release after I purchased the 2020 5K.

Does somebody know what happened with the 27" 5K version?

Last edited:

Bard2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks,
Yes, I got all the feedback/news like these, but none of them were from Apple.
I am with Late 2015 27", I am worried about the new 27" release after I purchase another type. :eek:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
It may be some time before we again see a "consumer line" iMac 27".

If that's what you have your heart set on, perhaps it's time to start considering your "other options"...

HazardousT

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2022
Thanks,
I am with Late 2015 27", I am worried about the new 27" release after I purchase another type. :eek:
You will not get an official from Apple. They have decided to move on from the 27" iMac. There is more money to be made by separating the display from the computer.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
Unlikely get any official from Apple but closest you can get it that Apple Event when they release Studio and Display they did say it huge upgrade for people with iMac 27 inch. It does sound very much that Studio and display suppose be replacement for iMac 27 inch.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Unlikely get any official from Apple but closest you can get it that Apple Event when they release Studio and Display they did say it huge upgrade for people with iMac 27 inch. It does sound very much that Studio and display suppose be replacement for iMac 27 inch.

They also said at that event that there was only one more Mac to update to M1, the Mac Pro.

RIP 27" iMac.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
Thanks,
I also have the late 2015. If your's is still good then it's good. I replaced the HD with a SSD last year and will keep it going until Apple sees the light and release a new 27/or larger iMac, lol.

• Love
Reactions: Bard2016

Jumpinbeans

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Cant see them making one especially as you can cobble together one using a m1 mini + studio screen (and charge £1000 more for it)

• Wow

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Cant see them making one especially as you can cobble together one using a m1 mini + studio screen (and charge £1000 more for it)
To be fair, that would be $2300 ($700 + $1600) vs. $1800 for the cheapest 27" iMac - so more like $500 difference (or £500 - $ vs £ doesn't make much difference with Apple).

As for the 10 core i9 configurations, they started at $3000 and still only came with 8GB RAM so, spookily:
i9 5k iMac = $3000 + $600 (for 32G RAM) = $3600
Mac Studio (32G RAM) + Studio Display = $2000 + $1600 = $3600

(of course, with the old iMac you could get 3rd party RAM and maybe save a few hundred).

...plus you always have the alternative of going for cheaper displays.

Then, in a few years time, either your Studio/Mini will still be getting the job done but you'll fancy a new microLED display or your display will still be perfectly good but you're pining for a M4 Ludicrous processor, and you'll be grateful that your computer isn't glued inside your display.

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah it’s the studio display that makes the entry level 27 inch impossible to recreate. 1600 - 2000 dollars got you a respectable iMac 27. With a studio display and a Mac studio, not so much.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah it’s the studio display that makes the entry level 27 inch impossible to recreate. 1600 - 2000 dollars got you a respectable iMac 27. With a studio display and a Mac studio, not so much.
The <~$2000 iMac with 5k screen was always the closest thing Apple offered to a bargain. With 5k completely failing to take off in the PC world, and the 5k iMac not selling in the same sorts of numbers as laptops, I guess Apple just can’t sell the large volume needed to maintain those prices, let alone upgrade to miniLED or suchlike. I suspect that Apple were already taking a reduced profit margin on those - compensated by the higher end models (which were priced closer to the Studio combos).

Thing is, the market for the 5k iMac was being eroded in multiple ways:

1. demand for desktops is probable falling in relation to laptops across the industry, and Apple Silicon is a game-changer there - desktop Macs used to have the higher-TDP Intel processors and GPUs giving them a performance advantage over MacBook Pros, now everything is using the same silicon and has much the same performance - if you’ve got any need for portability you’ll probably be best off with a MacBook Pro.

2. The 24” iMac is more powerful and has a bigger, better screen than the old 23.5” one, and will certainly “steal” some potential 5k customers.

3. Lots of people liked 5k iMacs - but a lot of other people would have preferred an affordable modular system. The Intel Mini was knobbled by a poor GPU and the Mac Pro out of most people’s league so they ended up buying a 5k iMac. The Mac Studio - and even the M1 Mini - are a far more attractive prospect and would have decimated (at least in the pedantic 10% sense, probably worse) potential iMac sales.

Other displays for your Mini/studio are available at lower prices - there are some workflows for which 5k is an advantage, but for many, 4K offers a decent compromise for a lot less money and a far wider choice of products. Some people are even getting “low res” 1440p displays because it turns out they are optimal for some jobs.

I‘m using a pair of “4K+” 3:2 displays which, together, came to less than even the LG 5k option, let alone the Studio. The combo is actually working better than 5k for me. YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.