Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm thinking about signing up for the iPhone Upgrade Programme this week.

I'm reading through the legal terms - Was wondering what happens if the iPhone gets stolen? Apple tell you to call AppleCare, but what happens next?

Is there a fee to pay to receive another handset to continue the plan?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If it gets lost or stolen you are SOL. You have to pay off the remainder of the loan. Unless you get insurance through your carrier that included lost or stolen protection, or you have a credit card that offers the same. But most credit cards only offer it for 90 days.

Reactions: DeApp1e

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
I'm reading through the legal terms - Was wondering what happens if the iPhone gets stolen? Apple tell you to call AppleCare, but what happens next?

Does it really say to call AppleCare? Why? What good is that going to do? Apple isn't on the hook to replace the phone.

3pp

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Does it really say to call AppleCare? Why? What good is that going to do? Apple isn't on the hook to replace the phone.
To get a pro-rata refund of your remaining AppleCare coverage that is now pointless.

Yes, you are still committed to the full 20 month term. You can still upgrade, if you are covered for loss or theft elsewhere such as home or contents insurance and can get a replacement, as long as it's same model/storage you trade in. Can be any colour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.