Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, my wife has always used my Apple ID for "iTunes & App Store" so that we could share purchases. She has her own Apple ID for iCloud. Well, I just signed up for an Apple Music family account, and so I need to change her iTunes/App Store Apple ID back to her Apple ID so she can have her own Apple Music account.

I have a couple questions about this that hopefully someone can answer.

1. When she switches away from my Apple ID for iTunes, what will happen to all her apps and their local data? Do they get removed from the phone? (She doesn't have any music on there, so that's not an issue.)
  2. Right now, for those apps that store data in iCloud, are they using her iCloud account or mine? I'm thinking that even though they were purchased under my account, they would store data in hers, since iCloud is configured for her account.
  3. This is a little off topic, but she has my Apple ID added as an account for the Calendar app, so we can share calendars. I understand that Family Sharing has some mechanism for sharing calendars, too. Will it just use my existing calendar, or do we have to create a new one and migrate all our calendar data over?
Thanks!!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not sure about the third one, but for first two:
1. All apps and local data will remain as-is on your iPhone as nothing will be removed or deleted. I do this switch a lot on a daily basis and never lose any local data.
2. It will use your iCloud account to store data if you use your account to login iCloud and play the game or use the app. However, if her iCloud account is configured on your device, everything will be stored on her account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.