Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I didn't have this problem before I got my mac, both the preview for "save for web" and the actual viewing in FireFox display images that are far different than those out of the camera and in the editing screen of PS.

It's kinda annoying that the split screen "save for web" in photoshop displays the original picture being TOTALLY different from the one you're working on, which defeats the point of having a split-screen - the colors are totally desaturated. I just went through every ICC profile in PS and uploaded it, then viewed it using FireFox and none of them are realistic - I didn't have any problem with IE or Safari. :(

..am I screwed?

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I don't know if this helps...

I also find the 'Save for Web' function a little lacking. I've always found that by Converting the Profile to sRGB within Photoshop and then using Save As gets me better results. I may just be neurotic and only think it looks better, but you can try :p

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
I don't know if this helps...

I also find the 'Save for Web' function a little lacking. I've always found that by Converting the Profile to sRGB within Photoshop and then using Save As gets me better results. I may just be neurotic and only think it looks better, but you can try :p

Exactly, I've noticed the same thing - and again, I didn't have this problem before I started using PS in OS X. Save As seems to solve most of the problems, outside of FireFox use.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It's kinda annoying that the split screen "save for web" in photoshop displays the original picture being TOTALLY different from the one you're working on
Because the document you're working on has a color profile, but the outputted JPG doesn't. You can choose to include the profile with the JPG, which might solve your problems (you have to view it in an ICC-aware app of course). Or you could convert the document color before going to Save for Web.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Firefox is an color un-managed browser, whereas Safari is a color managed browser.

Here is a good link that explains it all.

As great as it is Firefox definitely has some downsides. The conclusion....use safari!

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah thanks for the tips, what I meant when I talked about all the different ICC profiles I tried was that I actually embedded all of them into different jpeg files and uploaded them, then checked.. none were correct, most of them were different however (so it's like firefox can distinguish differences in profiles, just not display them correctly.)

It's a conspiracy! They get everyone in the world to use their browser, then laugh behind their backs because everyone in the world is viewing pictures at half their original dynamic range. :(

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
It's not just Firefox, Internet Explorer on PC's doesn't read ICC profiles either.

If you want your photos to look consistent across browsers then you have to use sRGB and you may need to convert to that profile before saving the jpg.

I'm having a big problem right now because I've been using iPhoto and it uses something called "Camera RGB" as the profile. Exporting those photos directly from iPhoto results in bland looking unsaturated photos in most browsers... so I have to edit them in Photoshop and convert the profile to sRGB before saving as a jpg.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Nope, FireFox doesn't use sRGB - which I also thought was pretty much the standard for web-based viewing of photos. That's the first thing I tried. :( Actually that's what I've been using in the past with PCs and didn't have any problems.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
It's not just Firefox, Internet Explorer on PC's doesn't read ICC profiles either.

If you want your photos to look consistent across browsers then you have to use sRGB and you may need to convert to that profile before saving the jpg.

I'm having a big problem right now because I've been using iPhoto and it uses something called "Camera RGB" as the profile. Exporting those photos directly from iPhoto results in bland looking unsaturated photos in most browsers... so I have to edit them in Photoshop and convert the profile to sRGB before saving as a jpg.

Yes, it would be nice to choose the color profile in iPhoto, but I guess that's another excuse to buy Aperture. I'm not at my mac, but I do believe you can "convert to profile" in one of the Preview menus, if don't want to do this through Photoshop.

atari1356, according to this page from Apple, one can use colorsync to assigan a color profile when importing into iPhoto, but I've yet to figure this out in ColorSync utility.

traceyambrose

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
I've been dealing with these issues as well and just came across this:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/web-browser-color-management.html

worth having a read of . Firefox doesn't use ICC profiles at all, it doesn't matter if you save it with it or not.

Basically they say to get a consistent result you simply have to convert the photos to an sRGB (without the profile).

There is no information what so ever on the Mozilla site related to ICC profiles, I love firefox and have sung it's praises from the beginning, I'm now very sad at this massive oversight :(

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Holy CRAP - I think I figured it out, FireFox uses the ICC profile that your computer is currently set to. Most of us are using Color LCD, right? At least for laptops and probably most desktop LCDs.

Let me know if this works - the correct image should be the darker / more saturated one.

The first one is the problem one, embedded with sRGB.
001AT_9640_1.jpg
001AT_9640_2.jpg

The second one is using ColorLCD (my computer's profile, which works for me - the same as the image looks in photoshop.)

edit: it's not QUITE as saturated as the image in photoshop, but I'm getting somewhere. :p

Ok here's another example.
I think another key is that you need to use the Apple ColorMatch engine when convergint to profile in PS, which is something compuwar's link helped me out with, there's a beta ICC program using Apple's CM standard in FireFox- Adobe's engine didn't work the same.
test_1.jpg
test_3.jpg

woot - big difference! Now it's up to you all to tell me if it looks right on your computers!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
woot - big difference! Now it's up to you all to tell me if it looks right on your computers!
That depends. Are they supposed to look different, or the same? I'm seeing higher saturation in the second of both images.

Honestly, when I'm exporting for the web, I just convert the documents color profile to whatever my monitor is using (I have a SuperCal profile for my ACD), then Save For Web and not including any profile in the JPG. I get consistent results that way and the images look exactly how I intend.

I think Firefox is the only browser that has problems like that.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah.. I agree that it's probably the only one, but it's also one of the most popular browsers out there soo. It was just a personal thing that was bugging me haha.

The second images are supposed to look better - those are the images that use ColorLCD ICC profile (since FireFox uses the computer's default profile, if your computer is set to Color LCD, the second picture should look better than the first which uses sRGB.)

traceyambrose

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
but how are they going to look on non LCD screens and is it just a fix for people looking at the pics using firefox on a mac or will it work across the bored? :eek:

The Maestro

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
but how are they going to look on non LCD screens and is it just a fix for people looking at the pics using firefox on a mac or will it work across the bored? :eek:

this issue has been bugging me for a very long time and i was also thinking this

by not including the profile i think makes the images look the same in all browsers. but then if i use the sRGB profile (and dont include it) then my images just look unsaturated in all browsers. i could edit the colours until i got it right but that is really only a half fix. to get it how it looks in photoshop do i need to convert the profile to colourLCD and then save as a jpeg but without the ICC profile? i want the image to look consistent throughout all browsers .

ham2233

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
this issue has been bugging me for a very long time and i was also thinking this

by not including the profile i think makes the images look the same in all browsers. but then if i use the sRGB profile (and dont include it) then my images just look unsaturated in all browsers. i could edit the colours until i got it right but that is really only a half fix. to get it how it looks in photoshop do i need to convert the profile to colourLCD and then save as a jpeg but without the ICC profile? i want the image to look consistent throughout all browsers .

Maestro, that makes sense to me too -- to save without the profile for the sake of consistency. Anybody know for sure how to do this?

The Maestro

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Maestro, that makes sense to me too -- to save without the profile for the sake of consistency. Anybody know for sure how to do this?

yeh i have been using this method of a while now and it seems to give the best results. thank god that headache is over lol. i dont even want to think about printing :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.