Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No… Other than causing some people’s OCD to flare up the notch really is a non issue. It covers a small piece of the menu bar. Due to the screen aspect ratio it does not even effect video playback.

Reactions: Tagbert

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The notch doesn't bother me at all in day to day use, but I do think it would be cool if they could get Face ID working by making the camera assembly a little fatter. They could even hide the camera bump in the slot where you open the laptop somehow.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
No, a bump would be hideous.

That being said, the current notch isn't there because of the depth of the camera. It is there to eliminate the top bezel. The top bezel would have to be as tall as the notch is all along the top of the display to accommodate the camera's height.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Having been anti-notch with the iphone - the way it has been handled on the MBP is a non-issue.

After using the machine for 5 minutes in the store prior to purchase i got over it - it doesn't impact my work or usage of the machine in any way.

Reactions: smoking monkey

mdhaus72

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2018
The notch is fine. People are getting riled up over nothing. The presence of the notch actually increases screen real estate a bit, as Apple pushed the menu bar up next to it, which keeps it from taking up space below.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The MBPs with the notch have a slightly higher display resolution than the non-notch ones so the end result is probably about the same screen real-estate.

The camera bump is an interesting concept though and IMO does not look too bad. Maybe that would fit the FaceID hardware then?

• Wow
Reactions: smoking monkey

saintmac

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2020
The MBPs with the notch have a slightly higher display resolution than the non-notch ones so the end result is probably about the same screen real-estate.

The camera bump is an interesting concept though and IMO does not look too bad. Maybe that would fit the FaceID hardware then?
It is definitely more screen real-estate. Higher resolution and bigger area (as the menu bar extends past the standard 16/10 ratio.)

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
e.g. Zoom conferencing with sharing something from your screen becomes a totally new experience… 😂🤣🥹🤪😎

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
That would be both uglier and less discreet than the notch, which as others have pointed out is a non-issue thanks to the increase in display size (thanks Apple for being one of the few companies that still understands the importance of vertical screen real-estate).

DataChris

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Just wanna chime in and say YES I would 100% prefer a camera bump on my MacBook Pro over the joke-of-a-1080p-camera that that a thin screen limits. I don't care about the look of the notch (especially as I keep my Menubar black), but having less dead space (if a bump could reduce the notch width to iPhone / Dynamic Island size) would prevent app menus, and app icons from getting endlessly cut off by the notch as-is! I'm sure Apple would make it look iconic but truly I dont' care how a bump would look, it would Function Better and that wins in my book.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Just wanna chime in and say YES I would 100% prefer a camera bump on my MacBook Pro over the joke-of-a-1080p-camera that that a thin screen limits. I don't care about the look of the notch (especially as I keep my Menubar black), but having less dead space (if a bump could reduce the notch width to iPhone / Dynamic Island size) would prevent app menus, and app icons from getting endlessly cut off by the notch as-is! I'm sure Apple would make it look iconic but truly I dont' care how a bump would look, it would Function Better and that wins in my book.
I’ve never once thought “This built in camera is too low quality for this call” it’s always far more likely that someone’s Internet connection was the bottleneck. But if you really want a super high-quality call(and everyone has the network to support it, which I’m be impressed with), Apple made it pretty easy to use the iPhone for that with your Mac.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
The notch is like a slap in the competitors face and an arrogant "feature" to distinguish it as an apple product. On such a big screen a notch is NOT necessary as I have seen other manufacturers with thin bezels implement a 1080P webcam that is even better than the ones on Macs!!

magdogg

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2022
The notch is like a slap in the competitors face and an arrogant "feature" to distinguish it as an apple product. On such a big screen a notch is NOT necessary as I have seen other manufacturers with thin bezels implement a 1080P webcam that is even better than the ones on Macs!!
Exactly

Paul Deemer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2023
Greenville, SC
I can't see the notch at all it's like it is not even there. I just used a night time nature scenic wall paper that has a dark night sky at the top and lighter colors in the middle and bottom and you can't even see the notch then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.