Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
What if the upcoming 24" model is designed to replace and consolidate both iMacs? It's possible that Apple might direct pro users towards the Mac Pro, and simpler users towards the 24" iMac, similar to how they have mostly low end laptops, with a 16" discrete gpu option at a higher price for those who want it.

At the moment, the 24" iMac looks like it would be a pretty low end model power wise, probably wouldn't have discrete graphics, and the chassis design is obviously not conducive to high end, high power, hot components.

Problem is, the top end 16 incher is still fairly reasonably priced, the Mac Pro is hard to justify, cost wise, from a number of perspectives. That would leave computers for most people, and for the extreme top end, but not much in the middle for me.

verticalines

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
24" suits mainstream users well enough. A bump up would be great given the age of the old 21.5". But there's a segment that would prefer a larger screen. Apple probably knows the numbers and it's not an insignificant amount of users (thus why they even bothered with a 27" iMac Pro).

They have laptop tiers because there are different audiences. Someone looking for casual use is typically not going for the flagship model just because. And vice-versa, if someone needs performance, they would be doing themselves a disservice stepping down as a compromise.

So it sounds like they need something in the middle, don't they? A machine for the person who prefers an all-in-one and performance and likely a larger screen. Not an everyday mainstream machine and also not a two-piece desktop setup. I don't have numbers but I reckon most people who are above casual use would prefer the extra screen size and desktop space.

It's not like Apple has held you hostage. If you don't think the future is bright, look elsewhere. There's like a half decade to make a decision starting now.

DQ11

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2018
I don't want a 24" imac...it's way more appealing than 21.5........It only makes sense if 27 goes to 29-32 inch screen.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I would bet anything that the 27" iMac is by far the most popular model outside of settings like computer labs. I used to see 21.5's around a decade ago, but since then any time I've seen an iMac it's almost invariably been a 27". This signals an interest in a larger screen size and I think it's very unlikely they'd try to shoehorn those users onto a 24". It's functionally equivalent to pushing 15/16" MBP users onto the 13" model.

Aside from that, the 27" fills a niche that nothing else in the Mac lineup touches, with its consumer desktop CPU, discrete GPU, and upgradable RAM. The first makes a huge difference — if you take a look at Geekbench scores, the top end iMac has a nice leg up on the 16" MBP in terms of CPU muscle. It's possible that Apple will just slap the same A-series they're using in MBPs high end iMacs and call it a day, but I think that would be colossally stupid, because they'd be leaving huge amounts of performance potential and thermal headroom on the table.

And of course, there's that 5K display. The only commercially available direct alternative is the LG Ultrafine 5K, but it's lacking in terms of design, build quality, and QA among other things. In fact, right now if you want a high quality 5K display your best bet is to order a display driver board from china and build an "iMac monitor" out of 5K iMac parts (I'm not even kidding).

If Apple kills off the 27" model, I can only see it happening because they're pushing it up to 30" (27" minus bezels) or 32" (Pro Display XDR panel minus fancy expensive backlighting).

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I think that the 27in will be replaced by a 6K 32in in 2021. Even though 24in seems a bit small for today's standards, it will sell well thanks to the redesign and for being one of the first "ARMacs"

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
The 24 can directly replace the 21.5 iMac, if you take into the math, that they remove the bezel (or at least reduce to a much smaller width).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
We don't know if there is an "upcoming 24" iMac".
And those who are in a position to know, aren't talking.

So any discussion of it is premature and will have to wait until it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.