Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cannapro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Hi, I have a 2007 iMac but it's very slow now and I need to work so I'd like to buy a new one.
I have a basic utilization : word, internet surfing and some little things like that.
I don't need a powerful mac but I need a smooth mac with a long lifetime.
Will it be worth for me to wait to the new iMacs or I just need the maxed-out iMac of this year (the i7 one)?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The only reason I'd wait is for USB-C which is likely to be more relevant than USB-A 3-5 years from now. But if your current iMac is too slow to meet your needs, you should enjoy decent longevity with an SSD-only 2015 5K.
[doublepost=1481048849][/doublepost]In terms of upgrades, the GPU should be prioritized over CPU due to its tendency to age quicker (and the fact the GPUs in the current 5K have been superseded already while the CPUs haven't yet been).

Cannapro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
The only reason I'd wait is for USB-C which is likely to be more relevant than USB-A 3-5 years from now. But if your current iMac is too slow to meet your needs, you should enjoy decent longevity with an SSD-only 2015 5K.

That's what I'm telling me to do but wait few months for maybe 2 more years of longevity should be better no ?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That's what I'm telling me to do but wait few months for maybe 2 more years of longevity should be better no ?
Unfortunately I can't look into the future and give you a definitive answer. However, this is my advice:

If your current Mac is satisfactory, then wait. An SSD upgrade can make your 2007 iMac feel like a brand new Mac. If it is not, then upgrade now and enjoy an 8 year leap in performance as well as much better display quality.

Cannapro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Unfortunately I can't look into the future and give you a definitive answer. However, this is my advice:

If your current Mac is satisfactory, then wait. An SSD upgrade can make your 2007 iMac feel like a brand new Mac. If it is not, then upgrade now and enjoy an 8 year leap in performance as well as much better display quality.

Ok I see if my issues stay like that or get worse.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
When you do buy, don't worry about getting the top of the line GPU, or the fastest CPU. Get a midline CPU, and unless you're a gamer, consider the bottom tier GPU or even integrated graphics (depends on what iMac you look at). DO get pure SSD if you can, and I'd shoot for at least 16 Gb memory. (Adding your own memory is fine as long as the capacity is there.)

My thinking is that nothing you've described needs a fancy graphics powerhouse or the maximum CPU speed. These things generate heat and heat is the enemy of long life. What you do need is decent memory capacity to run tomorrow's bloatware, and a good storage subsystem (i.e. solid state disk).

You might see if you can add a bit more memory to your existing machine without spending much, perhaps you can live with it a few more months that way to see what develops in 2017.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.