Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I got my first digital camera two hurricane seasons ago - a Kodak 5.0Mp 10x optical zoom... just wanted to record the epic waves we got. Well now I'm hooked on taking pictures, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
Tonight I found out that my Kodak is actually manually adjustable after shooting in auto modes for two years! But I have no clue what to adjust and why in the appropriate situations, etc.....

Is there a good resource for learning the basics of exposure, shutter speed, whatever else there is to know about taking better pictures? I prefer to read my computer screen over a physical book; any awesome websites anyone reccommends?:)

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
im in exactly the same boat, just got a camera -just been to israel and couldn't take enough pics, im getting better but dont really know what im doing...

CIMG1735.jpg

one of my efforts :D

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I generally suggest "any" of the books written by John Shaw, such as "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide" (ISBN: 0817440593).

A "good news/bad news" aspect of John's books is that the first chapter in several of them are a repeat of photography basics. Its kind of a bummer when you buy a 2nd one of his books because it is repeated material, but once you know to expect it is there, you're fine. I now own 3 or 4 of John's books, plus I was subscribed to his "Natural Image" newsletter while that was being published. All in all, good stuff.

And for anyone near Northern NJ, they're part of my "loan to a friend" library.

On Amazon, look for a "Buy Together Today" special with one of Shaw's books (he has several) with Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" - a total price of $32.94

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.