Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
thread says it all. i have a camera that is about two years old i'm trying to sell and the actuation count is 4600, is that low or high? i'm inclined to say low as i didn't use it that much. but i would like an idea of the spectrum of what is considered low or high

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
thread says it all. i have a camera that is about two years old i'm trying to sell and the actuation count is 4600, is that low or high? i'm inclined to say low as i didn't use it that much. but i would like an idea of the spectrum of what is considered low or high

Depends on the model. Thats low-mid mileage on a consumer camera but nothing on a camera like the 1ds which is rated to 300,000 by Canon.

Really, clicks matter very little if the body condition does not match the shutter count. You can have a beat up camera with 10 clicks or a pristine with 10k.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It'd be all relative. You may have only a few thousand, but there may be someone else with only a few hundred! And like taylorwilsdon said, you could have smashing up the camera and only taken a few shots or have one in awesome condition but it's done 10k.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
That's not a lot. I wouldn't really lower the price much for so few actuations. As a buyer, I would say that having only 4600 actuations would be a selling point. If it had over 10,000 actuations, I'd expect a lower sale price as a consumer. Most low-end DSLRs had (or have?) a shutter life of around 25000 shots (on average). It may be 40000 or 50000 now. I'm not too sure. If your DSLR is mid-range, expect an even longer shutter life. Your 4600 actuations starts to look better and better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.