Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fredr500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
I just got my new mac pro, and copied 50,000 pictures from my PC to it.

I pointed Lightroom at them and said import. It appeared to finish, the thumbnails are all there, things appear good.

But in Library, when I go fullscreen (double click) it takes 1-2 minutes for the loading message to go away. If I go to Develop it loads immediately.

And Lightroom has been consuming 95-125% of CPU utilization for the last 4 days, with no indication of what it is doing.

Can I assume that eventually it finish whatever it is doing and it will become speedy, or am I overtaxing it with that number of pictures?

Thanks
Fred

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Don't worry! It's busy indexing, building the vault etc. With that number of pictures it's sure to take a bit of time!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't know the answer but you can get a good clue by opening Activity Monitor, selecting the LR process and then "Inspect" and take a look at what file it has open. See if some look like indexs or thumbnail catalogs. Then in the finder check if the file size is growing over time.

fredr500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Thanks all, and ChrisA I will check that tonight if it is still running.

Fred

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.