Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I was reading several articles but I cannot find out what is missing in iPadOs

MacRumors : “iPadOS includes almost all of the features available in iOS 13” what are the missing features you would regret not having?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I was reading several articles but I cannot find out what is missing in iPadOs

MacRumors : “iPadOS includes almost all of the features available in iOS 13” what are the missing features you would regret not having?
I don’t think anything is missing.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I would think that iOS, being focused on the iPhone, would have a handful of features directly related to making phone calls, which would be missing from iPadOS. For instance, the iPhone has that little green handset icon for accessing the phone, which I have never seen on an iPad.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Does iPadOS now ship with native Calculator, Health and Weather apps? Previous iOS versions did not have them for iPads.
No

For this thread, iPad OS looks like an “edition” of iOS. Maybe it’s even forked from iOS

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
It's definitely branding, sharpening up the division between different Apple device form factors - tvOS, watchOS, iOS, iPadOS, macOS.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Still not available on iPad
Wallet
Health
Weather (Widget version only)
Calculator
Watch
Phone (obviously)

Same as all other versions of iOS on iPad. The features the iPad has over iPhone with iOS 13, mouse support, usb drive support, desktop version of Safari, screen extension, Apple Pencil support.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Still not available on iPad
Wallet
Health
Weather (Widget version only)
Calculator
Watch
Phone (obviously)

Same as all other versions of iOS on iPad. The features the iPad has over iPhone with iOS 13, mouse support, usb drive support, desktop version of Safari, screen extension, Apple Pencil support.

Personally I would use all these apps on my iPad. I feel like I’ve been sending feedback on this for a while now. Even the Phone app could/should be on the iPad by now, so that WiFi calling isn’t buried in the FaceTime app and we could (hopefully) have access to voicemails via iCloud syncing or something. I’ve always found it frustrating that they’re not included on the iPad, after all this time, because I’m sure I’m not the only one who would have a use for at least some of these apps. And it wouldn’t be that hard at all for Apple to add them...

Reactions: katbel

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The features the iPad has over iPhone with iOS 13, mouse support, usb drive support, desktop version of Safari, screen extension, Apple Pencil support.
Mouse support and USB drive support both are present in iOS 13 too.

Reactions: Mabus51

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
The ability to photo scan documents into new PDFs in the Files app

I’m pretty sure you can do that...I just did it on my iPad Pro 10.5. In the Files app, when you’re in a folder, tap the three dots next to “Browse” (in the sidebar), and tap Scan Documents. Is that what you’re looking for?

Reactions: katbel

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Why are they so insistent in not shipping the Calculator app on iPad?

It's as if someone made a random decision a long time ago, and they're stubbornly sticking to it for no reason.

Right?! It’d be almost comical at this point if it weren’t so frustrating and pointless.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I’m pretty sure you can do that...I just did it on my iPad Pro 10.5. In the Files app, when you’re in a folder, tap the three dots next to “Browse” (in the sidebar), and tap Scan Documents. Is that what you’re looking for?
It is - thank you! I was used to the iPhone interface and did not “find” the dots in the sidebar. Much appreciated

Reactions: boston04and07

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Why are they so insistent in not shipping the Calculator app on iPad?

It's as if someone made a random decision a long time ago, and they're stubbornly sticking to it for no reason.
I think the „official“ reason for it is that Steve Jobs hated the way the „bloated up“ calculator iPhone UI looked on the iPad and then it was never looked at again.

That being said I hope they add a Health app one day. Health data lives in iCloud now anyways so there is really no reason why they can‘t have it to showcase bigger graphs and serve as some form of health information hub.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I think the „official“ reason for it is that Steve Jobs hated the way the „bloated up“ calculator iPhone UI looked on the iPad and then it was never looked at again.

That being said I hope they add a Health app one day. Health data lives in iCloud now anyways so there is really no reason why they can‘t have it to showcase bigger graphs and serve as some form of health information hub.

Amen to that.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
From what I remember, iPadOS doesn't have quick toggles on the lock screen (Flashlight and camera).

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
From what I remember, iPadOS doesn't have quick toggles on the lock screen (Flashlight and camera).

That is true, good call. It does have the swipe left for the camera shortcut though (at least my 10.5 Pro does). The flashlight shortcut would be great though.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What do you mean by that? Is that something different than this?

IMG_0263.jpg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
BTW there is no choice between iOS 13 and iPadOs if you have an iPad
I can see today that iOS 13 is available but works only for the iPhone and not for the iPad ..easy pick 😉 on Sept 24th

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.