Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Which mini is that Adam? What happened to the SMD part? Did someone attempt a repair to the connector?

If you could take a sharper picture of the area it might help. More light and/or a different camera can help image resolution and contrast.

damanloox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
hi Celerondon,

It's 2011 mini (mini 5,1).
I was trying to replace HDD and when disconnecting the fan connector - I dropped my tool on the board and the thing came off (with solder points unfortunately...). I couldn't find it (must have bounced and landed on the floor I guess).
Anyway - end result is that I don't know what it was (I'm guessing a resistor) and I don't really have anything to solder it back to. There's one point I could use hidden behind the fan socket (that I can track) but I don't know how it was connected to the other side (again - guess - probably to the capacitor right next to it but no idea which way)...
Anyway - if somebody could at last measure what resistor is that...?

Can't take better picture - the only camera I have is my phone.. And it's not the best one as you can see...

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
To measure the capacitance / resistance / whatever on a component when it's on a circuit board, you're likely to get an inaccurate reading unless you disconnect at least one end of the component because of the influence of the components connected to it. I doubt anybody would be willing to do that.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I couldn't find it

Aha! So you do not have the part. Believe it or not, this could be good news. :rolleyes:

If you never reassembled that job we may be on the verge of the acid test for your mini. First though, I suggest that you visit iFixit to research the appearance of your missing component. https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+Teardown/6131

Do you see it in this image? :cool:

2011 Logic Board.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.