Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MAC187

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
Hi!

I have tried to read several places about the best adblocker for Safari 14 on macOS Big Sur. Its first time I am using Safari. Can anyone recommend me a good adblocker or do anyone know which one is the best?

Thank you!

MAC187

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
The word best is subjective. I use 1Blocker and have been very pleased with its blocking ability. It is subscription or a one time fee for lifetime. Many here also use Adguard and Wipr.
Which one of 1Blocker, Adguard and Wipr is the less complex setup?

MAC187

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
All of the ones listed can be setup using the toggle option in the app. Not hard like the old days of manually entering the scripts.

1Blocker will give you a free trial.
SO if I buy 1Blocker, can I use on macOS, iPhone and iPad? And does it sync?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
SO if I buy 1Blocker, can I use on macOS, iPhone and iPad? And does it sync?
Yes, and yes.

If you use 1Blocker and don't sign up for premium right away, they will offer you a coupon for getting lifetime for $24, which is what I did.

MAC187

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 30, 2021
Yes, and yes.

If you use 1Blocker and don't sign up for premium right away, they will offer you a coupon for getting lifetime for $24, which is what I did.
Seem like 1Blocker was more popular then Wipr, so I downloaded 1Blocker :) 2 week free trial :) Thank you :)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
@Apple_Robert , I tried to download 1Blocker at my iPad, but it tells me I need to subscribe for 2 week premium. But I already did that on my macOS. Or do I need to buy 1Blocker on iPad too?
Go ahead and subscribe and then you cancel before the trail is over. Now that I think about it, that is what I had to do. If you do end up buying, it will give you access across all devices. Just make sure to unlock the access in the app.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
AdGuard is what I use, but on the Mac is does require a separate installation and runs in the background. (The latter is optional, but recommended.) I've tried a few and like AdGuard the best.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I do have 1Blocker too... but I'll add that if you have an Asus router at home, takea good read about Asus-Wrt Merlin firmware and Diversion - it blocks ads at your router for all your devices at home (and has 'beta' youtube ad blocking too seems good too)

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
I've noticed that whether I use Wipr, Adblock pro or adguard... all are slowing down safari, to the point where I'm getting time out errors on various webpages. Which Adblocking extension/software slows Safari down the LEAST??? thanks.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Sasparilla

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2012
Have tried 1Blocker, the owner says they rely on payment for upkeep and development, not selling your browsing habits (unlike most Ad Blocker's - uBlock Origin is the only other one I know of that doesn't do that, but isn't available for Safari) - so trusting that - it works really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.