Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ok i've picked up a bit of urge for photography after seeing some of the pictures from my friends recent vacation.

until now my only experience with photography is using my iphone and a 5mp sony p&s from the mid 2000s[ye lol]

im basically only interested in night time/low light/action.
i dont care about video features, just stills!
my budget is around $800-$1000 for camera/lens/memorycard/battery

it can be used as long as its from a reputable place/or factory refurbished.

i would prefer a mid level camera over products like t1i or xsi[these are too consumer, and i progress fast]

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
ok i've picked up a bit of urge for photography after seeing some of the pictures from my friends recent vacation.

until now my only experience with photography is using my iphone and a 5mp sony p&s from the mid 2000s[ye lol]

im basically only interested in night time/low light/action.
i dont care about video features, just stills!
my budget is around $800-$1000 for camera/lens/memorycard/battery

it can be used as long as its from a reputable place/or factory refurbished.

i would prefer a mid level camera over products like t1i or xsi[these are too consumer, and i progress fast]

Low Light/Action is a big jump from a P&S and you can't do it for $1000. You would need a Canon 50D/7D. I don't know much about other cameras. The minimum lens to shoot this subject matter would be something with a maximum f/1.4 or 2.8.

Dale

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Low Light/Action is a big jump from a P&S and you can't do it for $1000. You would need a Canon 50D/7D. I don't know much about other cameras. The minimum lens to shoot this subject matter would be something with a maximum f/1.4 or 2.8.

Dale
my fault, i should of been more clear.
i didnt mean the 2 combined

i meant taking photos at dusk/dawn and taking daytime photos of moving cars.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Welcome!

My advice is always the same; invest in good glass before investing in a better body. If you're doing low light action shots, there is no substitute for fast lenses (i.e. with a large maximum aperture).

The DLSRs you mention are very nice, but since you're ok with used, I would consider a gently used Canon 30D; 8.2MP, 5 frames per second, and much better build quality than any Rebel-series DLSR. They can be had for ~$400 used, which is a steal.

Assuming a $1000 budget, I would invest the remaining $600 in a Canon 50 f/1.4 (~$300 used) or a 35 f/2 and a Canon 85 f/1.8 ($325-350 used). If you really, really think you need a zoom lens, you can find a used Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for $360. That, plus a the 35 or 50 I mentioned would be a great start.

Unfortunately, once you start talking about low light, you need fast glass; there's just no way around it. And I would consider anything greater than f/2.8 to be too slow to guarantee shutter speeds that are fast enough to stop motion in dubious lighting.

Hope this helps.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Used

Try to pick up a used canon xTi. I shot with it for YEARS and YEARS and it never failed me.

I bet you could find one for around 300 with memory cards and battery.

For lens: Cant go wrong with a 50 mm f/1.8 II to start (for the price),
then maybe blow the rest on another prime or a solid tripod for your low light shots.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
^ Good idea, buying used. However, buying new, I'd recommend Pentax. I is probably the best value system around. Like Nikon, there is huge compatibility with older lenses. Anti-shake is built into the body so you can have stabilized shots with literally any lens that happens to be on the camera. Nikon and Canon make you buy new lenses for that, although having VR in the lens is a little better.

I use Nikons but a) I don't really mind about having no VR in the old lenses I use and b) I use higher-end cameras which are more expensive but nice.

EDIT: for 35mm and FF digital, 50mm lenses are great 'standard' lenses. But on a smaller sensor it doesn't make sense in that context.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
haha i just struck an amazing deal.

i just picked up an open box nikon d90 with 2 year nikon warranty
for $690 body only.

Congrats! Welcome to Club Nikon.

As far as shooting low light at night and moving cars during the day, the problem is that you're probably going to need 2 very different lenses. At night, you'll need a large-aperture lens such as the 35mm f/2, 35mm DX f/1.8, or any of the 50mm Nikkors, as people have suggested. Going above 50mm for a prime will kill your budget. For your daytime shooting, you'll probably need a zoom lens, as you'll probably be at some distance away from the moving cars you're photographing. Unfortunately, assuming you're sticking to your ~$1000 budget, you won't be able to afford the greatest zoom lens (especially if you're also buying another lens).

Suggestions/Options:
(1) If you're only buying a large-aperture prime, one of the 35mm's will give you a good focal length for general shooting on DX, and a good max. aperture for low-light stuff. Depending on the price you get on the prime, you might be able to squeeze in a 18-55mm kit/other cheap lens in there.
(2) The 50mm f/1.8 is the cheapest AF prime you can get (for about $100), so that will leave you a bit more money to play with for your zoom, at the expense of having a less useful focal length for everyday shooting on your prime.
(3) If you only get a zoom lens, the 18-105mm VR is probably your best bet, as you can get it for about $300 (thus only slightly exceeding your budget after taxes/etc; ironically you'd be at about the going price for a new D90 + 18-105mm kit). It has a very useful range, and the VR will help with low-light shooting, assuming your subjects are stationary.
(4) If you want a longer reach, either of the 55-200mm's is within your budget, with the obvious downside of the range not encompassing a "normal" focal length.

Good luck!

dinaluvsApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Congrats! Welcome to Club Nikon.

As far as shooting low light at night and moving cars during the day, the problem is that you're probably going to need 2 very different lenses. At night, you'll need a large-aperture lens such as the 35mm f/2, 35mm DX f/1.8, or any of the 50mm Nikkors, as people have suggested. Going above 50mm for a prime will kill your budget. For your daytime shooting, you'll probably need a zoom lens, as you'll probably be at some distance away from the moving cars you're photographing. Unfortunately, assuming you're sticking to your ~$1000 budget, you won't be able to afford the greatest zoom lens (especially if you're also buying another lens).

Suggestions/Options:
(1) If you're only buying a large-aperture prime, one of the 35mm's will give you a good focal length for general shooting on DX, and a good max. aperture for low-light stuff. Depending on the price you get on the prime, you might be able to squeeze in a 18-55mm kit/other cheap lens in there.
(2) The 50mm f/1.8 is the cheapest AF prime you can get (for about $100), so that will leave you a bit more money to play with for your zoom, at the expense of having a less useful focal length for everyday shooting on your prime.
(3) If you only get a zoom lens, the 18-105mm VR is probably your best bet, as you can get it for about $300 (thus only slightly exceeding your budget after taxes/etc; ironically you'd be at about the going price for a new D90 + 18-105mm kit). It has a very useful range, and the VR will help with low-light shooting, assuming your subjects are stationary.
(4) If you want a longer reach, either of the 55-200mm's is within your budget, with the obvious downside of the range not encompassing a "normal" focal length.

Good luck!

thx for the suggestion.

lucky[or unlucky] i live in canada, so i wont be able to go to track until may haha because its still winter here.

so im probably going to pick up a nice 1.8 first and save for a good telephoto.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i bought a rebel XSI + Spare Batt + Filter + Lowepro bag all for 599 CAD

it was at futureshop.

i love it :D

i bought it for light photography and just shooting when i get bored.

its a pretty pimp tight camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.