Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPNMac

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Illinois
What is the best PowerPC Mac that:
  1. Is an all-in-one
  2. Supports 10.5 (I don't care about 9)

Last edited:

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Here's what it would come down to for me... an iMac G5 will be the fastest, but can have capacitor issues. An eMac G4 1.42GHz is a great system, but has a CRT. An iMac G4 will be the most desirable for most, but also the slowest of these three. The fastest iMac G4 ever was the final one at 1.25GHz, and it will also be the most expensive.

I personally would go with the eMac. It will be the cheapest of the 3, and in the middle of the three for performance. And this might be a rare opinion... but I think an eMac is much more beautiful than an iMac G4. And the 1.42GHz eMac comes with a Radeon 9600 64MB, which is actually a decent gaming GPU for games of that era.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How do you define 'best'?
That's always the question I have about these posts. It can mean anything with the limited information given and anyone responding can interpret it as they will. It takes discussion to narrow it all down to the point that everyone's on the same page.

Reactions: JPNMac

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That's always the question I have about these posts. It can mean anything with the limited information given and anyone responding can interpret it as they will. It takes discussion to narrow it all down to the point that everyone's on the same page.
When no precise priority is given, I tend to equate best with fast ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When no precise priority is given, I tend to equate best with fast ;)
Yes, there's a lot of interpretations. For myself, I tend to equate it with most processing power. But it could be anything. Some people don't know exactly what it is they are looking for so you make your suggestions and they post back and on it goes until they figure it out.

Then everyone nods and agrees that had we all had the details from the beginning the discussion would have been much shorter.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not even mentioning the atrocious GPUs.

It's really a shame Apple never put the parts of the 1.42ghz eMac into an iMac case. The iMac G4s are fun and quirky, and I do keep a 1.25ghz around that I can't ever see myself getting rid of-in fact I may have Dosdude put a 7448 in it for me.

Still, though, I can't get around that terrible FX5200.

I have a love/hate relationship with eMacs. A 700mhz was my first PPC Mac, and I did buy a 1.42ghz from a member here a few years ago. For a while, @LightBulbFun use to joke with me that I couldn't buy a lot of Macs without an obligatory eMac in it, and I picked up several 1ghz and 1.25ghz ones that I gave away a few years ago. They're big, awkward, and heavy. I've only kept the 700mhz for its OS 9 abilities and also some fun stuff they can do with Server 1.2v3 that I've never actually exploited, as well as a 1.42 since it really is a good computer.

The Radeon 9600 kicks the pants off the FX5200, and an iMac G4 with a 1.42ghz and Radeon 9600 would have been a great little system.

For the OP, I'd also argue that there's really not a desktop AIO that satisfies their requirements. If a laptop will work, I'd encourage a later PowerBook.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
and also some fun stuff they can do with Server 1.2v3 that I've never actually exploited

we did actually test this out, sadly after some failed attempts to boot natively and me poking around in the boot loader

I deduced that the whole "OS X Sever 1.2v3 can run on an first gen eMac" thing is false info, not sure where it originated from!

however im sure I could make it run :) (or at least boot, the big question mark is how it handles the GeForce2 MX GPU of the first gen eMac, I know its supported by OS X Server 1.2v3 in normal PowerMac G4 form)

as a side note id love to get a 1.42Ghz eMac (as well as the iMac mentioned by Bunn its a shame they never stuffed a 1.42Ghz eMac or last gen iBook G4 into a Mac Mini)

James Gryphon

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
If you wanted to go the G5 iMac route, it's worth noting that the model matters.

The first-gen (8,1) has substantially worse specs than either the ALS or iSight versions, particularly in the graphics card. They were also said to have fan problems. With these factors put together, I'm not sure I've ever heard any other Mac run as loud, even my late and great "Windtunnel". Now, I was running Linux, and those drivers don't get optimal usage out of the machine, but I'm still not sure I'd push it with Leopard, when the lighter Panther (and presumably Tiger) run silent and silky smooth.

They do have one advantage over the iSight version, though: that one has a different internal case design, and is said to be more difficult to open or upgrade than either of the previous two models.

Last edited:

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
In my opinion, a 1.67 GHz DLSD PowerBook in either the 15" or 17" versions is probably the "best", with the 1.5 GHz 12" better if portability is desired (and in my experience, a better keyboard).
Yep, that would be my choice & recommendation too! Preferably a 15" >= 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4. They were the most common at their time, so more and cheaper to be find, and replacement-parts/-batteries too.
Be sure, both RAM slots are ok!!!

Optional:
- an mSATA-IDE-Converter-Combo for better performance and to make it rock-solid when on the go
- an additional display (my favorite, an acrylic Cinema-Display, but that needs the ADP-DVI-Converter)

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I also would agree with a 1.67ghz powerbook. It's my favorite out of my other powerpc machines. Supports 2gb ram, fast cpu, and it works great with leopard and linux. It is a PITA to swap out the HD though.

Cheers

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Sure, a laptop is technically an AIO, but when I think AIO I think iMac and eMac. I think if the OP wanted a laptop they would have specifically mentioned that.

Don't disagree with what you're saying, but at the same time I feel like at least what I'm saying(and I think many others) is that all of the AIO desktops meeting the OP's criteria have their downsides.

AIOs from this period had their teething pains all around, whether because of reliability or poor specs. The good laptops mostly had this stuff figured out.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I also would agree with a 1.67ghz powerbook. It's my favorite out of my other powerpc machines. Supports 2gb ram, fast cpu, and it works great with leopard and linux. It is a PITA to swap out the HD though.
Cheers
No, just 23 screws (minus the lost/broken ones) ... :D
[automerge]1591142930[/automerge]
Sure, a laptop is technically an AIO, but when I think AIO I think iMac and eMac. I think if the OP wanted a laptop they would have specifically mentioned that.

Beyond the PB-DLSD in terms of performance and sound-out, there is (only) the iMac G5 as a AIO-machine.

But if it it's simply for a Leopard-machine, why not go for a late-2008 c2duo aluminum-iMac or an early-intel-book?
Is there anything better about Leopard on a G5 than Leopard on an early intel?

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
For the record, the eMac has the same capacitor problems as iMac G5s. It affects the later eMacs, 1.25Ghz and faster.

If you want a reliable AIO go with an Aluminum PowerBook.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
But if it it's simply for a Leopard-machine, why not go for a late-2008 c2duo aluminum-iMac or an early-intel-book?
Is there anything better about Leopard on a G5 than Leopard on an early intel?

The early Intel Macs are actually an option that I hadn't considered.

Things like the C2D white iMacs are rock solid, and in many(not all) programs will run faster in Leo/SL under Rosetta than natively on PPC. They are also cooler, quieter, and largely more reliable.

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a bias against late PPC consumer class hardware, with things like the iMac G5 and especially the Mini leaving me a bit lacking(PowerMacs and PowerBooks are a different story, as are earlier things like iMac G3s).

This isn't directly what the OP asked for. It would be good to know what specific use case they had in mind, as that would allow us to guide if the above is at all an appropriate choice(it may not be for some situations).

JPNMac

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 1, 2020
Illinois
Thanks for all the info!

For your convenience, the computers meeting my requirments are the iMac G4, iMac G5, and eMac.

Talking about configuration, for just dong basic tasks including Internet connectivity, what would be the best configuration?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for all the info!

For your convenience, the computers meeting my requirments are the iMac G4, iMac G5, and eMac.

Talking about configuration, for just dong basic tasks including Internet connectivity, what would be the best configuration?

From the models you listed, the iMac G5 by far - the iSight version:

Fastest CPU, best GPU, SATA and max 2.5Gb RAM.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
From the models you listed, the iMac G5 by far - the iSight version:

Fastest CPU, best GPU, SATA and max 2.5Gb RAM.
I agree. But the capacitor issues. And it's not just be being dramatic - I've seen the iMac G5 capacitor issue myself more than once. But if you're a decent solderer, then it's a fairly simple fix.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
I was under the impression that only plagued the models prior to the iSight? I've had 2 iSights with no issues but obviously, that isn't conclusive.

I was under that impression too. I have an iMac G5 iSight (20-inch) and even an extra spare board for it. Both boards (i.e. the one currently residing in the chassis and the spare one) work perfectly and passed ASD. Also visually speaking there aren't any bad or dead capacitors on the board. For an AIO machine that runs Leopard smoothly I'd recommend an iMac G5 iSight. The PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz would also be a good candidate for it of course but the performance will be better on a G5 (obviously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.