Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

francoc02o

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Hi!
I just bought an iPad Pro 11-inch (M4) Wi-Fi + Cellular. This is my first iPad with Cellular, so I am interested in listening your experiences with Cellular on an iPad. I use T-mobile for my iPhone and Apple Watch, but apparently there is a ton of alternatives for cellular in the iPad.

- What are the best plans for iPad on t-mobile and other carriers?
- What is the most common use you need it for (the cellular). I am trying to convince myself that I made a good choice by picking the cellular version. So far because I hate doing hotspot since it drains the battery so fast.
- Can you stream HD/4K content from YouTube/Netflix while on cellular on t-mobile? I read on the web that it's limited to SD/720pp for the 20usd/25usd, respectively.

And any other recommendation or experience why the cellular is an advantage would be nice to read.

Reactions: zachchen1996

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
You're in the US?

Call or head into your local AT&T and ask the rep about their standalone tablet plan. Not all reps know about it. $20, truly unlimited data.

Reactions: tivoman

francoc02o

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Yes I am in the US.
I went already to the local T-Mobile store, they recommended me the 20 usd plan.

--This is what my iPad is showing in settings (it literally just changed today, until yesterday it was appearing other plans):
IMG_0006.jpeg

And this is what the website is showing:
IMG_0007.jpeg

My concerns is about the streaming. In the website it only states that the 25usd plan support HD streaming, while in the iPad it says SD streaming for both.

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 24

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Isn’t this only for ATT customers?

Technically yes. They have 2 versions of the same plan, 1 requires a phone, the other doesn't. These exist due to some arbitrary restrictions in their system. You just need a rep that knows to push the right buttons to sell you the tablet plan.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I just set up a business account with T-Mobile for my wife (who works as an independent consultant) and got an unlimited 4G/5G tablet plan for $10/month.

Reactions: francoc02o

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
You're in the US?

Call or head into your local AT&T and ask the rep about their standalone tablet plan. Not all reps know about it. $20, truly unlimited data.
Does this plan include Canada and Mexico like T-Mobile’s do?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
None.
Use mobile hotspot on your phone.
I dislike using mobile hotspot, which is why I always get cellular iPads. With cellular iPad just open up and already connected and works great when traveling to Canada and Mexico too. Same thing on at business meeting, open and go.

Get that some people like it though. 🙂

h2ofun

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2024
We have a ton of family phones on verizon. My Ipad will be in Monday. Since we have the phones, I can get the tablet plan cheaper. The first level is 10 bucks a month, for 5G. But I think I will go with the 15 per month, since it gives me
5G ultra. I assume the priority is higher for 5g ultra devices than just 5g. Since I plan on streaming sporting events live, I need the best I can try to get. And with a site has the cell overloaded, I then use standalone hot spots from various carriers to see what works the best.

Reactions: francoc02o
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.