Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgarrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I have been trying to find an updated document or anything for the best way to completely remove apps using latest Sierra. I have a 2017 MBP and I want to keep it running lean. I do know how to install the recommended Apple way, but it seems to leave behind a bunch of preferences files and such.

I have trued AppCleaner and it works pretty well but many others do not recommended that method. So I ask you all...What is the best way to completely remove apps? Should I just drag to Trash and not worry about the preferences files and other stuff left behind?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My method may not be "the approved" one, but I'll give you an example.

I wanted to experiment with Adobe Photoshop Elements, so I dug up a copy and installed it.
There was something that rubbed me the wrong way about it -- didn't like the fact that it installed things in my menu bar that I couldn't remove.

So, I did this:
1. Booted from my cloned backup (any Mac user who DOESN'T keep a cloned bootable backup handy ain't doin' it right)
2. Made sure I had my "regular" boot drive set so that permissions would be ignored
3. Opened "EasyFind" (small, free app)
4. Entered "adobe" as my search string (it found about 53 results)
5. Hit "command-a" to select them all
6. Pressed the "delete" button, and...
7. Gone!

bgarrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I like that approach. I use Time Machine but what program do you recommend to to a drive clone bootable backup? I have a 2TB drive ready for just this purpose.

My method may not be "the approved" one, but I'll give you an example.

I wanted to experiment with Adobe Photoshop Elements, so I dug up a copy and installed it.
There was something that rubbed me the wrong way about it -- didn't like the fact that it installed things in my menu bar that I couldn't remove.

So, I did this:
1. Booted from my cloned backup (any Mac user who DOESN'T keep a cloned bootable backup handy ain't doin' it right)
2. Made sure I had my "regular" boot drive set so that permissions would be ignored
3. Opened "EasyFind" (small, free app)
4. Entered "adobe" as my search string (it found about 53 results)
5. Hit "command-a" to select them all
6. Pressed the "delete" button, and...
7. Gone!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I like that approach. I use Time Machine but what program do you recommend to to a drive clone bootable backup? I have a 2TB drive ready for just this purpose.

I've been using AppZapper for years... seems to do a good job removing apps and related "parts".

For bootable, cloned backups, both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper will do the job, but I prefer CCC.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Hazel will poke through various locations to look for file remnants when you drag an app to the trash, I would try it out.

The cruft laying around won't really hurt you as most developers are pretty good about keeping all their items limited except large applications such as anything Adobe. Sometimes the preferences are left behind just incase the user wants to reinstall the application, so thats why it stays.

bgarrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
AppZapper, AppCleaner all work about same. The manual search approach is probably most complete. I will try AppZapper and EasyFind to see how they work. Thanks.

bgarrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Do you run CCC along with your Time Machine backups or just for the boot clone? I backup to TM and BackBlaze at moment.

I've been using AppZapper for years... seems to do a good job removing apps and related "parts".

For bootable, cloned backups, both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper will do the job, but I prefer CCC.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Do you run CCC along with your Time Machine backups or just for the boot clone? I backup to TM and BackBlaze at moment.

Absolutely. Both WD and Seagate have inexpensive 1TB and 2TB drives… I have one connected via USB 3 and CCC does a daily backup each evening. All of this and TM continues to do its thing.

bgarrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Absolutely. Both WD and Seagate have inexpensive 1TB and 2TB drives… I have one connected via USB 3 and CCC does a daily backup each evening. All of this and TM continues to do its thing.

do you have to disable sleep or power nap to get that to run at night?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.