Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I've been checking B&H for the Canon 100mm f2.8 which I thought has been out of stock for the past few weeks but then just now I realize there is a "Imported" version and a "USA" version. Is there any difference in these lenses? One is priced at $490(usa) and the other $509(imported)
The imported version is out of stock but not the USA version. When I had called B&H the other day they just said the lens was out of stock but didnt mention anything about 2 different versions..
Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
If you send in a grey market lens to Canon for repair, it will come back to you just as you sent it. They won't touch it. The same goes for Nikon.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Yes they will fix it, but you have no warranty if it's bought grey market. IMO it's not worth trying to save a few bucks, just buy the USA version.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yes they will fix it, but you have no warranty if it's bought grey market. IMO it's not worth trying to save a few bucks, just buy the USA version.

One is priced at $490(usa) and the other $509(imported)
The imported version is out of stock but not the USA version.

So isn't it odd that the USA version is cheaper and in stock? Why would anyone buy the imported version if it costs more and is not as readily available?

atomicshark

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
New York
So isn't it odd that the USA version is cheaper and in stock? Why would anyone buy the imported version if it costs more and is not as readily available?

That is a good question. I have a feeling it is a screw-up. The whole point of buying an import is to save money.

Otherwise, buy the USA version and be happy it's in stock.:)

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure that Adorama offers its own 1-year warranty on new grey market lenses. So if it broke, you'd send it to them for repair/replacement rather than Canon or Nikon

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I'd rather buy used from a reputable dealer and save some money than gray market. I've bought used for about 4 lenses now, without an issue. It's always been Adorama or B&H, though I know lots of folks who buy from fredmiranda site

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I believe the difference is in the warranty
one is a grey market lens without a warranty

NO. Both have warranties. The different is in who provides warranty service.

The USA lens can be sent to Canon or Nikon for repair but Imports must be sent back to B&H who will cover it.

After the warrenty period is over neither lens is covered by anyone and it becomes moot.

Mechanically and optically the llenses are identical, make on the same assembly line.

This is explained in more detail on B&H's web site.

I'd rather buy used from a reputable dealer and save some money than gray market.
This seems self contradictory because Both B&H and Adorama sell grey market lenses. So, if you beleave B&H to be a "reputable dealer" then you can buy grey market from a reputable dealer.

When you buy used equipment there is no warrenty at all or maybe a short 30 day warranty -- even worse then grey market because with grey, B&H offers a good warranty often times better than Nikon's

What grey market really means is that B&H waits for thr US dollar to be strong vs. some other currency and then buys cameras in bulk from distributers in that contry and has them shipped to New York

wal9000

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
My guess is that the US version is cheaper now because of the rebates that canon's running on a lot of lenses

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Thanks for all the input guys

My guess is that the US version is cheaper now because of the rebates that canon's running on a lot of lenses

Your right. It is because of the instant rebates.
I bought this lens today with a 3 yearwarranty that covers accidental damage and everything else.
Total price was $552.99.
I figured the 60 bucks seems to be a good deal since it's covering a $500 lens for 3 years!
Can't wait for it to come!!
I ordered it super early this morning but the order still says "processing" ??
I was hoping it would ship out today but I guess it looks like Monday.
Thanks again everyone.

(from the iPhone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.