Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
With the new iPads coming out, I think the improvements on the whole in comparison to previous models such as the M1 are minimal. More processing power for sure but is that sort of power needed in an Ipad? Where do Apple go from here when M3 and M4 chips are released year on year when an M1 iPad is already considered to be overkill?
Not to mention I don’t feel any excitement about an M2 iPad at all , I love the one I got in 2019 but even now using it today I don’t feel it’s slow, I don’t feel it’s even outdated and it does the job I need it to. I don’t think I need any more power or what the M2 offers so im wondering what will Apple do next. Its not even as if they can redesign it. It‘s already thin enough, fast enough. just the right size, good colours ( although admittedly I’d like a midnight coloured iPad Pro I’d definitely buy that ) and much much cheaper than what future generations of IPads will eventually cost. I just think an M3 iPad will be meaningless unless they come up with something revolutionary that’s a game changer. Otherwise it’s just another tablet that loads my apps faster by nanoseconds which no normal and sane person would notice anyhow.
i do feel the end could be on the horizon for the iPad Pro, but I would love to see apple design an artist tablet like a Wacom. I’d give them all my money for that.

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma

cupcakes2000

macrumors 601
Apr 13, 2010
Wow. Another thread about the same thing. Every time an iPad is released we have to suffer a million threads about the same things.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
Wow. Another thread about the same thing. Every time an iPad is released we have to suffer a million threads about the same things.
i typed up my question in the Forum and it said I was the only one who had this original question. Not sure if you’ve been looking at other forums But it appears I’m the only original commenter and influencer around here

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
What is the end game for iPhone? What is the end game for MacBooks? What is the end game for Apple Watch?

Not every release needs to be transformative. People need devices to work on and this update allows people who are in the buyers market to obtain an iPad with the latest M2 chip. That's it.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With the new iPads coming out, I think the improvements on the whole in comparison to previous models such as the M1 are minimal. More processing power for sure but is that sort of power needed in an Ipad? Where do Apple go from here when M3 and M4 chips are released year on year when an M1 iPad is already considered to be overkill?
Not to mention I don’t feel any excitement about an M2 iPad at all , I love the one I got in 2019 but even now using it today I don’t feel it’s slow, I don’t feel it’s even outdated and it does the job I need it to. I don’t think I need any more power or what the M2 offers so im wondering what will Apple do next. Its not even as if they can redesign it. It‘s already thin enough, fast enough. just the right size, good colours ( although admittedly I’d like a midnight coloured iPad Pro I’d definitely buy that ) and much much cheaper than what future generations of IPads will eventually cost. I just think an M3 iPad will be meaningless unless they come up with something revolutionary that’s a game changer. Otherwise it’s just another tablet that loads my apps faster by nanoseconds which no normal and sane person would notice anyhow.
i do feel the end could be on the horizon for the iPad Pro, but I would love to see apple design an artist tablet like a Wacom. I’d give them all my money for that.

It’s like the PC market. iPads are mature products now. You don’t have to replace them every 1-2 generations. That said, you’d probably still upgrade eventually. Wouldn’t you want to have an M8 at that point instead of a chipset that’s 4 years behind? At the very least, that would mean you can get the 4-year old hardware at a good discount.

Mind, Genshin Impact is considered one of the most demanding games on the iPad but even an entry level gaming PC can handle it with ease. I don’t imagine something like Cybepunk 2077 with RT on would do well on even M2. Large app installs aren’t instantaneous (even just counting the part post-download). Video encoding still takes minutes.

I reckon there’s still room for improvement although you’d need to go longer between upgrades to see a major performance difference.

Back when I built my quad-core Haswell desktop with 16GB RAM and SATA3 SSD, it was hard to imagine needing anything faster. Fast forward to today and I’m definitely appreciating the increased responsiveness of Ryzen plus NVMe SSD (even before upgrading RAM from 8GB). I’m sure I’ll feel the same way when I upgrade from the M1 iPP several years down the line.

MrWayne

macrumors member
May 1, 2022
There are reports that Apple is working on a foldable Mac/iPad hiberate. They might be released by 2025

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I agree with previous posters, the iPad is a mature product, like many of Apple’s other products, so it’s just no longer realistic to expect big jumps in any given update. M chips are incremental as well. They were already relatively incremental coming from A chips—most of the jump was from x86 chips.
It was exciting seeing the jumps, but every phase comes to an end. Now it’s back to the slow grind.
But who knows what Apple has up their sleeves. It’s in their financial interest to generate excitement over their products, so they have to find ways to make big jumps. They may be able to find new ways to innovate the iPad, or they might have to focus on another existing product line or a new product line.

I’m curious what you mean by an artist tablet like a Wacom. Wacom has several products. I assume you don’t mean like an Intuos. Do you mean like a Cintiq? Not sure what Apple could offer over Wacom in that product, other than adding that functionality to the iPad, which they did with Sidecar, but it’s not as good as a Cintiq. I do hope that improves. Or do you mean an all-in-one like the Mobile Studio? An iPad is obviously the mobile OS version of that. I do wish Apple would make an artist’s all-in-one portable Mac, but I’ve been wishing for that for many eons.

Last edited:

carylee2002

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
Let you know continuely going for the latest firmware or product is really just having the GAS syndrome. As the generations of new products comes out, the improvements are really not that much more than what is needed.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
For those who get mad about incremental CPU upgrades every year:
- it’s not meant for you. It’s meant for those with 3,4, 5, 6 year old iPads who are looking to buy the best they can get right now. Some of them will buy the latest fastest device for that product (whether base, Air or Pro) on the basis that they are keeping the device for 3-6 years.
- tech YouTube and tech bloggers live in a bubble in which “not much of an upgrade over last year” passes for content. A lot of them do the cliche: “if you have the 2021 model, should you buy the 2022” which 99%+ of iPad owners would never do anyway.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
With technological (processor) advancements, everything now is strictly iterative/incremental and meant for people who are looking to replace older devices as another poster mentioned

Reactions: Student of Life
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.