Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I know you need an IR filter for digital IR photos, but for film, is IR film JUST sensitive to IR light? Or will I need a filter? Also, are the chemicals used in developing the same as for regular black and white?

Just wondering, 'cause I saw some IR film on B&H, and thought about it.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
I know you need an IR filter for digital IR photos, but for film, is IR film JUST sensitive to IR light? Or will I need a filter? Also, are the chemicals used in developing the same as for regular black and white?

Just wondering, 'cause I saw some IR film on B&H, and thought about it.

You need a filter, a #25 red works fine. I have always used regular T-max developer with good results. Kodak use to have some time information on their site, but seems like I was at 75 degrees, 6.5 minutes with 30 second intervals.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You need a filter, a #25 red works fine. I have always used regular T-max developer with good results. Kodak use to have some time information on their site, but seems like I was at 75 degrees, 6.5 minutes with 30 second intervals.

Remember IR focuses slightly off visible light. There should be a red dot on the lens which is the focus point.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
thanks for the help!

oh, wait. 6.5 minutes for what kind of IR film? OR does it not change, cause I know you develop ASA100 and ASA400, etc, for longer and longer amounts of time. Is IR film all the same grain?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.