Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kangaruu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
Need to buy a wireless back up system ( I get to carried away ) as well as manually backing up when I’m not so carried away . Was heading for the new time capsule but just read they’re quite noisy . I write record in the same room (big) but don’t want any added noise . Are any of yu using a NAS System that your happy with and is quiet ... fan wise... mayb the old time capsule is an option ? Tnx

TheMountainLife

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2015
I've been happy with my WD My Cloud EX2. I've had it for over 3 years now. It also supports Time Machine backups.
I have two 4TB black edition drives configured as raid 1. The transfer speeds locally and externally runs laps around my old Time Capsule because of the CPU/drives it has. Over 1TB of that is media and streams great when I'm away. Especially 4K content.

Its quiet and I only hear the small fan in it during its scheduled scans once a month. My favorite part is probably management of users and allowing them to map their own folders in Finder along with the ability to create a temporary direct download link to any file stored.

edit - I meant Time Capsule

Last edited:

kangaruu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2018
I've been happy with my WD My Cloud EX2. I've had it for over 3 years now. It also supports Time Machine backups.
I have two 4TB black edition drives configured as raid 1. The transfer speeds locally and externally runs laps around my old Time Machine because of the CPU/drives it has. Over 1TB of that is media and streams great when I'm away. Especially 4K content.

Its quiet and I only hear the small fan in it during its scheduled scans once a month. My favorite part is probably management of users and allowing them to map their own folders in Finder along with the ability to create a temporary direct download link to any file stored.
[doublepost=1537729472][/doublepost]Great Profile name ‘ mountain life ‘ !Perfect : Thanks man . That’s the one then . Excellent. Thnku v . Much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.