Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
What is the role of toggle button shown in iOS Settings > Notifications > [App] > “Show on Mac”.

Screenshot of toggle button is attached.

Does the toggle button shown on iOS automatically determine notifications for that app on Mac even if the app is not installed on Mac.

Please guide.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 30

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
What is the role of toggle button shown in iOS Settings > Notifications > [App] > “Show on Mac”.

Screenshot of toggle button is attached.

Does the toggle button shown on iOS automatically determine notifications for that app on Mac even if the app is not installed on Mac.

Please guide.

All my iOS notifications show up on my Mac. The apps are not installed on the Mac but when you click the notification they open the iPhone mirroring app and then take you to that app all on the Mac.

Turn that toggle off on your iPhone and the notification won’t show on the Mac.

Give it a try. It’s impressive.

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
You can now check your iPhone at work without even taking your iPhone out your pocket 🤣🤣🤣

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
All my iOS notifications show up on my Mac. The apps are not installed on the Mac but when you click the notification they open the iPhone mirroring app and then take you to that app all on the Mac.

Turn that toggle off on your iPhone and the notification won’t show on the Mac.

Give it a try. It’s impressive.
Will clearing the notification from the Mac also clear it on the iPhone, or do they need to be cleared independently? I already have to clear enough notifications... wouldn't want to add to the burden. Haven't turned it on thus far because of that.

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
Will clearing the notification from the Mac also clear it on the iPhone, or do they need to be cleared independently? I already have to clear enough notifications... wouldn't want to add to the burden. Haven't turned it on thus far because of that.

Oh now you’re asking. I’m not sure. Can check that out for you and let you know. I don’t think it will but you never know.

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
Had a quick play. So if i click on the notification on the Mac it opens the corresponding app in the iPhone mirroring app. At the same time the notification automatically clears on the iPhone and the Watch.

If you just clear the notification on the Mac then the notification is still present on the iPhone and the Watch.

If you clear the notification on the Watch then it automatically clears on the iPhone .

If you clear a notification on the iPhone then it automatically clears it from the Mac and the Watch.

The above is in relation to a single notification. I have not tried clear all on any devices as yet. I need a steady stream of notifications and you never get them when you want them LOL

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
So Clear all works pretty much the same way.

Clear all on the Mac only clears the Mac and not the iPhone or the Watch.

Clear all on the watch clears the iPhone and the Mac.

Clear all on the iPhone clears the Watch and the Mac.

So in short clearing iPhone notifications on the Mac does not clear them from the IPhone Clicking on an iPhone notification to open the app will clear it from everywhere.

Reactions: xraydoc

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I have enabled iPhone mirroring on my Mac and have selected "Show on Mac" on iPhone for WhatsApp installed on iPhone.
But I am not getting WhatsApp notifications on Mac.
Am I missing something.

jbuk72

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2021
I have enabled iPhone mirroring on my Mac and have selected "Show on Mac" on iPhone for WhatsApp installed on iPhone.
But I am not getting WhatsApp notifications on Mac.
Am I missing something.

Are your WhatsApp notifications set as immediate or scheduled?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So Clear all works pretty much the same way.

Clear all on the Mac only clears the Mac and not the iPhone or the Watch.

Clear all on the watch clears the iPhone and the Mac.

Clear all on the iPhone clears the Watch and the Mac.

So in short clearing iPhone notifications on the Mac does not clear them from the IPhone Clicking on an iPhone notification to open the app will clear it from everywhere.
Thanks for the details

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.