Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Hi all... This on on a recently bought D40 and it has been there on every image I have clicked since the second day! The images taken on the day I bought the camera dont have them. I have not unmounted the lens since I put it on the first time. Any idea what this is, and any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 100

Driver

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Rollingwood, Tx
Dust on the sensor? Looks like it to me. Search for it, several people have mentioned it elsewhere. One of the reasons I went with the D300 was it has active anti-dust features, first Nikon DSLR to have it.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Thanks driver! Wondering how the dust got on the sensor when I never unmounted the lens :confused:

Driver

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Rollingwood, Tx
It easily could've been in there from the manufacturer, just takes holding it a certain way to dislodge it from a nook and have it fall onto the sensor. Not speaking from DSLR experience though. Only from my old 35mm SLR days. I assume you've checked both ends of your lenses though. Main thing to rememebr is to NEVER touch that sensor. Read up and get some procedures to properly clean it. From people that have done it.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Definitely sensor dust.

The easiest thing to do is take the camera back to the store and have them clean it until you are confident to do so - especially since it was there since purchase. They should offer to do it for free.

MadDoc,

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Agreed...an obvious case of sensor dust. Try blowing it off with Giotto Rocket Blower, if that doesn't do it, use a Sensor Brush, and if none of those things work, use Sensor Swabs and Eclipse (or E2 if your sensors AA filter has a tin oxide coating), or the Copperhill spatula method.

Or, you could just take it in and have a camera repair shop do it, but cleaning it yourself as above is very simple, saves you the time and money, and may allow you to get it done sometime when popping it into the dealer isn't an option.

Zer0

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies guys. Taking it back to the store is not feasible for me now. I'll just take it to a camera repair shop when i get time as i'm not comfortable getting at the sesor yet :)

Still i'm shocked as to how the dust got in there :eek:

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Still i'm shocked as to how the dust got in there :eek:
There are things you can do to minimize the sensor dust problem, but there is nothing you can do to eliminate it. It is a universal fact of dSLR life. I can guarantee you this won't be the last time you have this issue no matter how careful you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.