Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Well last night I broke down and bought a new Canon SLR.
I get home and the 2nd picture I take was outside with a 30 second exposure.
You can see something green in the upper right. I know its nothing on the camera because you can clearly see its emitting its own light. You can see a globe around it and if you look closely it has a trail coming off it as well.
Im in Arizona and I HAVE seen green shooting stars before. They are quite common out here. Although when i took this picture i was watching the sky and never saw anything with my naked eye...
What do you guys think???

I had to upload the photo in photobucket so it may have lost some quality. If anyone is REALLY interested i can mail you the original untouched photograph.

IMG_0617.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 193

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
UFO!!! lol jk looks like a lens flare to me....I get a lot of weird stuff like that when shooting long exposure shots, especially when there are lights involved!

Foxtrot Oscar

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Hong Kong
Lens flare.... Hmmm sure why not either that or a green light speed traveling P51.

Also have an XS - 1000D. It's the dogs dangly bits!

Fox

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
It is a lens flare.

Its not lens flare! on the actual pic you can see this thing is emitting its own light!!
I took a few more pics (without moving the tripod) and this didnt show up on any of the other pics!

i dont know... maybe you guys are right

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket... and refracted the light from Venus... ...On a more personal note, Edgar ran off with an old girlfriend. You'll go stay with your mom a couple nights. You'll get over it and decide you're better off.
images

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Would lens flare make it look like it is emitting its own light?? Thats whats confusing me..
Classic case of lens flare. Yes, that's exactly what it would look like. Lens flares are a result of light being `trapped' in between the different lenses. Depending on the angle of incidence and the lens you have, you can get anything from `haze' to the type of localized flare you can see in your picture.

They can be more visible in long-term exposures.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Classic case of lens flare. Yes, that's exactly what it would look like. Lens flares are a result of light being `trapped' in between the different lenses. Depending on the angle of incidence and the lens you have, you can get anything from `haze' to the type of localized flare you can see in your picture.

They can be more visible in long-term exposures.

The thing thats confusing is i took multiple shots. I never moved the tripod or camera. That only showed up on one shot. If it were lens flare wouldnt it happen everytime since the camera was in the same position each time?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The thing thats confusing is i took multiple shots. I never moved the tripod or camera. That only showed up on one shot. If it were lens flare wouldnt it happen everytime since the camera was in the same position each time?
Moving the camera fractions of a mm suffices to get rid of them (e. g. when you push the shutter release).

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Moving the camera fractions of a mm suffices to get rid of them (e. g. when you push the shutter release).

Well i just looked up lens flare on google images. NONE of them look like this pic. In my pic you can see a trail coming off whatever it is

But ok, ok, If you guys just think its lens flare then we can leave it at that!

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Well i just looked up lens flare on google images. NONE of them look like this pic. In my pic you can see a trail coming off whatever it is
Really? How about this one:
tut_lensflare_image1-zm.jpg

The yellow one looks similar to the one you have. If you draw a line between the lens flare point and the light source, you can see that its tail lines up exactly. Meaning that the street lamp is the source of the lens flare.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Really? How about this one:
tut_lensflare_image1-zm.jpg

The yellow one looks similar to the one you have. If you draw a line between the lens flare point and the light source, you can see that its tail lines up exactly. Meaning that the street lamp is the source of the lens flare.

Ok sorry guys! Im new to photography (with a SLR) and just kinda got excited! :)

Thanks

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
oh someone quick play the X-Files theme song!!!!

Its a freakin UFO (unorganized fluffy object)!! LOL :D

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I just love that there's a trailer home in this pic. "Just don't let them extry-tershstuls try any funny business on ya!" (If they bust out anything that looks like a probe, politely decline.) :eek::D

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I just love that there's a trailer home in this pic. "Just don't let them extry-tershstuls try any funny business on ya!" (If they bust out anything that looks like a probe, politely decline.) :eek::D

Yea im staying with my grandpa for a little while. He has a RV.. That "trailer home" is my neighbor! haha

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
It's lens flare

Dude, I promise you it's lens flare. There are many kinds, and this seems to be coming from a reasonable angle from that streetlight. I've had lens flare like this before. You need to reposition your camera to get rid of this sort of stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.