Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hello, I've been waiting so long for the problem(s) to be solved by APPLE, but still .....

(High)Sierra is bad at task switching: programs 'freeze' for some time, with or without
the corresponding busy cursor or 'ball', until you fiddle with some other programs.
Then suddenly it comes back to life again. I noticed that programs involved are:
- all (!) macOS components,
- third party programs (Mozilla stuff, VLC, LibreOffice, CrossOver, SuperDuper!, Vim ...),
- my own applications written in JAVA-10.
Furthermore: the 'hangs' seem to happen between members of above groups, which means
that none of these programs can be proved to be the single cause. It certainly is an OS problem.

Having worked in the past with 6- and 16-cpu systems that had similar problems,
I suspect the thread-to-core run-time distribution part of the kernel.
;JOOP!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello, I've been waiting so long for the problem(s) to be solved by APPLE, but still .....

(High)Sierra is bad at task switching: programs 'freeze' for some time, with or without
the corresponding busy cursor or 'ball', until you fiddle with some other programs.
Then suddenly it comes back to life again. I noticed that programs involved are:
- all (!) macOS components,
- third party programs (Mozilla stuff, VLC, LibreOffice, CrossOver, SuperDuper!, Vim ...),
- my own applications written in JAVA-10.
Furthermore: the 'hangs' seem to happen between members of above groups, which means
that none of these programs can be proved to be the single cause. It certainly is an OS problem.

Having worked in the past with 6- and 16-cpu systems that had similar problems,
I suspect the thread-to-core run-time distribution part of the kernel.
;JOOP!
This isn't a problem I see with any of the systems I own, use, or manage.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Does this happen on all of your Macs? Sounds more like a hardware issue but unlikely to be affecting all of them.
!POOJ;

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Does this happen on all of your Macs? Sounds more like a hardware issue but unlikely to be affecting all of them.
!POOJ;
It seems that since the latest update (10.13.6) the problem has grown;
even time machine and Trash may hang for some time until you start a random activity on any utility or program.
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Followed instructions: The application “SMART Utility.app” can’t be opened.
So sorry.

Btw.: the problem is in my opinion NOT related to disk access.
I got 32Gb mem and sucked all files that I use into cache b.m.o. scripts.
;JOOP!

Right click and press open.

SMART Utility just checks the SMART data of the HDD. Unlikely that you’ve got two dud hard drives but equally it’s very unlikely to get two machines running an OS so poorly unless it was restored from a duff TM backup or something.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Right click and press open.

SMART Utility just checks the SMART data of the HDD. Unlikely that you’ve got two dud hard drives but equally it’s very unlikely to get two machines running an OS so poorly unless it was restored from a duff TM backup or something.
3 machines!
;JOOP!
[doublepost=1533109554][/doublepost]
Can you run & screenshot SMART Utility on both Macs please: https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility324.zip

Assuming they're not pure SSDs (Fusion drives or HDDs).
Here you are; R's picture is bigger because of the retina screen.
Screen Shot SMART Utility on system M.png
Screen Shot SMART Utility on system R.png

;JOOP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.