Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I have opened the box today and the battery cycle count was 5. Is this normal for a brand new device?
What is your opening cycle count for m2pro and m2 max series?
Thanks...

KNSmax

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
I purchased a refurbished 2021 in December last year and it also had 5 cycle count, which is acceptable on a refurbished unit not on a brand new one though!

Reactions: emraha06

blatantblue

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Mine was also at 5 on my brand new 16" M2 Pro. However my battery capacity is at 104%, so i'm not complaining.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Yes its normal. They can come between 0-5. Its within spec. Ive gotten one with 4 cycle charges out of the box. Pretty normal. Would be nice to come with 0 but i havent seen one for the macbook pro that comes with 0.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Yes its normal. They can come between 0-5. Its within spec. Ive gotten one with 4 cycle charges out of the box. Pretty normal. Would be nice to come with 0 but i havent seen one for the macbook pro that comes with 0.
Thanks for reply
Did Apple make an offical explanation about normal range of battery cycle number for brand new macbook pros?
I can not understand what causes the difference for a 3 cycles device and a 5 cycles device? Does it mean that a device with 5 cycles tested more about battery before packaging?

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
Mine was also at 5 on my brand new 16" M2 Pro. However my battery capacity is at 104%, so i'm not complaining.
Thanks for reply...
I have seen more than 10 new macbook pros (2021,2023 models) but the maximum value was 2 cycles. Have you experienced another case like your 16 M2pro?

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I don't think it's much of a big deal. If you are worried about the battery, only charge between 20 and 80 percent which will prolong the lifespan.

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
I don't think it's much of a big deal. If you are worried about the battery, only charge between 20 and 80 percent which will prolong the lifespan.
I wonder that was there problem about my battery and tested more by charging and draining in manufacturing? The test procedures have to apply a standard so the default cycles of new devices should be 1 or 2 maximum? What causes this variance?

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I wonder that was there problem about my battery and tested more by charging and draining in manufacturing? The test procedures have to apply a standard so the default cycles of new devices should be 1 or 2 maximum? What causes this variance?
I don't know. But I would guess extra testing.

blatantblue

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Thanks for reply...
I have seen more than 10 new macbook pros (2021,2023 models) but the maximum value was 2 cycles. Have you experienced another case like your 16 M2pro?
Yeah, my M1 Max had 4 cycles from purchase.. Sometimes they just pull a certain unit out of a batch to conduct testing.. Just means your unit was tested more than others for defects.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2021
Thanks for reply
Did Apple make an offical explanation about normal range of battery cycle number for brand new macbook pros?
I can not understand what causes the difference for a 3 cycles device and a 5 cycles device? Does it mean that a device with 5 cycles tested more about battery before packaging?
I think they need to recalibrate the batteries every month (or whatever time) and before the MacBook is shipped

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
There is no point in comparing this. Especially since batteries don't all age the same, it contains chemicals that age regardless of use, and cycles will never be able to tell you how healthy your battery is and how long it will last.

The only correlation I can see is that after 800+ cycles the battery will be nearing the end. But to even get up to that count 2+ years will have passed, at which point the battery will have started aging regardless of the cycle count.

Reactions: chrono1081

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
There is no point in comparing this. Especially since batteries don't all age the same, it contains chemicals that age regardless of use, and cycles will never be able to tell you how healthy your battery is and how long it will last.

The only correlation I can see is that after 800+ cycles the battery will be nearing the end. But to even get up to that count 2+ years will have passed, at which point the battery will have started aging regardless of the cycle count.

of course, I agree with you about the battery health part. But my concern is: May it possible that a 5 cycle battery was disassambled from a return device, and plugged into my new device?

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2017
T
Thanks for reply, is the 4 cycle device member of m2 series?

instant_happiness

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2023
of course, I agree with you about the battery health part. But my concern is: May it possible that a 5 cycle battery was disassambled from a return device, and plugged into my new device?
I had count of 5 out of the box. Most people say 2-3 is OK. So, I'm confused too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.