Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the colour of your 12" MB

• Total voters

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
I don't have a 12" MB yet. I will probably get one in the future but I can't decide between the Gold and the Space Gray.

What is your colour choice and why?

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
haha you made me chuckle with the question WHY :) Ever heard of personal preferences and tastes?
There is always an underlying reason behind personal tastes and preferences. One person I know said he preferred Silver because dents and scratches deep enough to reveal the metal underneath shows less on it because the underlying aluminum color is basically silver. Another friend said he preferred Space Gray because Gold was not masculine for him. My wife prefers Gold because it matches her phone.

So, like I said, usually there is always a reason behind every personal choice and preference.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Gold is nice, it certainly stands out but isn't gaudy. The Space Black is good too, much darker than iPad/iPhone Space Black but not as dark as iPod touch Space Black. It's stealthy and cool-looking.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
No offense to those who like the gold. When I bought mine, the rep asked if I'm getting gold. I just chuckled and said NO, space gray please :cool: We're anti gold anything here. The last house we bought was half way finished construction when we signed. We specifically requested the builder no gold color hardware of any kind, from door knobs to hinges.

The space gray is sleek and stealthy.

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
I may be slightly biased but the sleekness of space gray combined with the thin/edgy style of the rMB gives it a super modern look. The gold has nice contrast but the gray has a James Bond aura to it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 448
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 414
Reactions: saintforlife

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
California
The space gray looks nice. I went with the gold. I'm obsessed with rose gold but they didn't have it so I went with the gold. LOL

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I just ordered a refurbished a space grey 1.3 ghz/256gb from Apple.com, instead of buying new in box iPad pro. It will not replace my primary computer. My primary computer is a Mid 2014 15 RMBP i7 2.5/16/512/750m.

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
I just ordered a refurbished a space grey 1.3 ghz/256gb from Apple.com, instead of buying new in box iPad pro. It will not replace my primary computer. My primary computer is a Mid 2014 15 RMBP i7 2.5/16/512/750m.

I also have a 15 inch RMBP i7 that is now basically my dedicated desktop. The rMB in 1.3ghz spec really is very snappy for the everyday task I use it for. As long as your not doing anything like rendering videos/pictures its more than adequate combined with the PCI Flash storage. Bringing out the 15 MBP on my lap now feels like I'm back in the stone age haha you will be very happy with the machine your picking up good choice and congrats !
[doublepost=1455152838][/doublepost]
I just picked up my Space Grey MacBook Yesterday! I'm in love with the way this thing looks.

It really is awesome. Took a look at your sig and see you have an xps 13. I have been debating switching my surface pro 4 for an xps 13 what are your thoughts on it?

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Wanted to buy a Space Grey, but picked up a used Silver for a really really good price. So far the silver has grown on me, but I still prefer the SG a bit more.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
The danger with the Gold is that it changes colour quite markedly depending on the lighting of the room. Often it looks like Rose Gold. And the trackpad turns grey.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
I thank everybody for contributing to this post. I wasn't aware of the overwhelming popularity of the space gray. Despite the fact that I don't have a single gold coloured item, every time I go to an Apple store I look at the 12" MBs there, the Gold stands out in the crowd and I'm drawn to it. I'm also concerned about how finger prints and smudges would show on the gray. I still remember constantly cleaning my 2006 Black Macbook.

Reactions: dubstar82

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
There is always an underlying reason behind personal tastes and preferences. One person I know said he preferred Silver because dents and scratches deep enough to reveal the metal underneath shows less on it because the underlying aluminum color is basically silver. Another friend said he preferred Space Gray because Gold was not masculine for him. My wife prefers Gold because it matches her phone.

So, like I said, usually there is always a reason behind every personal choice and preference.

I would get Gold because it matches my phone and I'm a Male :)

Reactions: dubstar82

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Would prefer Space Gray, but there is just something weird-looking with it. The trackpad looks silver while the base looks gray. It's a weird contrast which I don't like.

Gold looks great in photos, but under certain light conditions it turns PINK!! (Rose Gold perhaps...).

Silver on the other hand looks great in all conditions. You really can't go wrong with it. Slightly boring though, however.

I'm not sure which I'd pick actually. Good thing there's no Skylake version out yet, so I don't have to make a decision...

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
I thank everybody for contributing to this post. I wasn't aware of the overwhelming popularity of the space gray. Despite the fact that I don't have a single gold coloured item, every time I go to an Apple store I look at the 12" MBs there, the Gold stands out in the crowd and I'm drawn to it. I'm also concerned about how finger prints and smudges would show on the gray. I still remember constantly cleaning my 2006 Black Macbook.

I had a black MB, the year after yours, and spent a huge amount of time stressing about the smudgy finish.

No such problems with my SG MacBook :)

iManic

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2016
I really miss the old white MacBook.

A company named colorware does custom colors/painting for Apple products and they have a big selection of colors that can be metallic/matte/gloss. They also let you select colors for different parts of the product like an all matte black body with a metallic blue Apple logo and track pad etc. I have heard the quality is top notch but the price tag is hefty

Fegbert

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2016
After having gone to the store several times to look at the colors and test out the keyboard, I like Silver the best.

I went in thinking I would like Space Gray the most (I own the Space Gray iPhone), and I did at first but mostly because it's a "new" color I guess. Silver felt the most clean and timeless after multiple viewings.

One thing that surprised me was how much I liked the Gold color, because I thought it would be really gaudy but it actually looks pretty classy in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayderek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.