Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What keyboard do you use?

• Apple

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Swype

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • SwiftKey

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Fleksy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GBoard

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Word Flow

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Just wondering what everyone's preference to use and why.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm a user of Swype on iPhone and iPad mini2, but I'm waiting on GBoard to support Dutch language so I can switch. Or even better if Apple would finally add support for swiping of words in iOS10.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Swiftly because it's bilingual but it will be deleted if the iOS 10 keyboard works as stated .

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I primarily use the stock Apple keyboard. I have flirted with using other keyboards, but I tend to always go back to the stock keyboard.

Howl's Castle

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Word Flow. I am a HUGE Microsoft fan. I love the Bing integration :) I just wish it had Cortana integration or the option for the theme to be the Bing Image of the Day

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With some of the punctuation behavior changes in the stock keyboard in iOS 10 I'm giving some serious thought about using a 3rd party keyboard.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
I've tried nearly all the popular third party keyboards and I was primarily using SwiftKey, Swype, GBoard or Word Flow. But with the new functionality of the Apple keyboard in iOS 10 I'm back to the stock keyboard. Great autocorrection and emoji prediction/replacement works as advertised.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've tried nearly all the popular third party keyboards and I was primarily using SwiftKey, Swype, GBoard or Word Flow. But with the new functionality of the Apple keyboard in iOS 10 I'm back to the stock keyboard. Great autocorrection and emoji prediction/replacement works as advertised.

But don't you miss the word swiping option? I need that feature to be added to the Apple keyboard in order to switch back. For now I will stick with Swype but I'm hoping I can soon switch to Gboard when Dutch language is also supported.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
But don't you miss the word swiping option? I need that feature to be added to the Apple keyboard in order to switch back. For now I will stick with Swype but I'm hoping I can soon switch to Gboard when Dutch language is also supported.
Nah I've tried the swiping thing but never got used to it. For me, it actually slowed down my typing speed.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Nah I've tried the swiping thing but never got used to it. For me, it actually slowed down my typing speed.

For me it's the other way around, but it really does depend which third party keyboard I use and if it's smart enough to choose the correct word I just swiped.

Jawn_Dough

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2016
I was using Gboard up until iOS 10 came out. My favorite thing about it is how easy it is to search for emojis. I have never been good at remembering which emoji is where. I honestly haven't been using any of the new features in iMessage, so I am sure it will only be a matter of time before I switch back. There's just something about a black keyboard...

bmattinw

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
Glad I found this thread. Loving Gboard compared to stock. I just wish that we could change the keyboard size like on Android.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Glad I found this thread. Loving Gboard compared to stock. I just wish that we could change the keyboard size like on Android.

Gboard can't do that indeed. I do know a few other third party keyboards like Path Input (iPhone,iPad), Nintype (see also the 3rd party keyboard topic) which can though.

Something else: I wonder when Microsoft's WordFlow keyboard will finally be available in other countries and languages other then English.

I'm also curious when ReBoard will add support for swipe typing and if it needs full access or not.
I'm testing out Slash keyboard right now which seems also nice and supports Dutch. Unfortunately it does need full access rights like Swiftkey to use the word swipe feature :(

Reactions: bmattinw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.