Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Since you haven't said anything about yourself, your photo experience or your intended use of the camera I can comfortably say that a red camera would probably be best for you.

Both Panasonic and Sony make red cameras at around the $400 price range. I'd get one of those.

panasonic-dmczs3r-lumix-101-megapixel-digital-camera-red.jpg

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Since you haven't said anything about yourself, your photo experience or your intended use of the camera I can comfortably say that a red camera would probably be best for you.

Hmm what else would I use a camera for besides TAKING PICTURES??? I dont have much photo experience, but I do have some good pics, I posted a couple in the "Photo of the day march 2010" thread. Im looking for a somewhat "top of the line" brands

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Hmm what else would I use a camera for besides TAKING PICTURES??? I dont have much photo experience, but I do have some good pics, I posted a couple in the "Photo of the day march 2010" thread. Im looking for a somewhat "top of the line" brands

OK... can you give a few more details...

What was your previous camera? Why are you upgrading?

What do you want to take pictures of? General indoor family stuff? Sports? Landscapes?
(ie, do you need a long zoom? do you need macro? wide angle? a fast lens for indoor shoots?)

Looking for video functions?

Any preferences in brands?

Do you want something really small / pocketable, or is any size OK?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

of course you want to "take pictures." now quit insulting our intelligence and be specific.

there are point-&-shoots (e.g. Canon SD), superzooms (Canon SX), bridge cameras/large-sensor point-&-shoots (Panasonic LX3, Canon G10), large sensor compacts (Olympus E-P1), consumer SLRs (Pentax K-x), amateur/professional SLRs (Nikon D300, Canon 1D), and rangefinders (Leica M9). all of them have different strengths, weaknesses, and intended uses.

and there is no "top of the line brand."

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
OK... can you give a few more details...

What was your previous camera? Why are you upgrading?

What do you want to take pictures of? General indoor family stuff? Sports? Landscapes?
(ie, do you need a long zoom? do you need macro? wide angle? a fast lens for indoor shoots?)

Looking for video functions?

Any preferences in brands?

Do you want something really small / pocketable, or is any size OK?

previous camera.. fujifilm finepix Z20??
http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/images/bfinder/Finepix-Z20_1450.jpg

General Family stuff and landscapes

Vidoe functions preferable, umm have no clue about zooms, macros, angles, or anything lol.

A brand that'll be reliable and any size 'll be fine

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Hmm what else would I use a camera for besides TAKING PICTURES???

Videos, document storage, voice dictation! :eek:

Im looking for a somewhat "top of the line" brands

It's pointless to buy only a "top of the line" brand if you aren't willing to pay "top of the line" prices and lug around "top of the line" weight. I use a compact Pentax. it offered something that I wanted while Canon and Nikon were busy pushing more megapixels into their compact cameras.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
If you want to continue on the Fuji line then one of the superCCD-sensored cameras would probably be a nice step up. F100fd or the newer F200EXR.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
previous camera.. fujifilm finepix Z20??
http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/images/bfinder/Finepix-Z20_1450.jpg

General Family stuff and landscapes

Vidoe functions preferable, umm have no clue about zooms, macros, angles, or anything lol.

OK.

Fuji make some great cameras, but the latest reviews I've read on their better compacts suggest that they're not the best value for money (other brands are better, for less). The F200EXR reviews aren't great.

One of the best compact cameras around at the moment is the Canon G11. This is pretty impressive - with serious features (if you need them) such as a flash hotshoe, manual modes etc. - for $480.

Canon sell almost exactly the same camera - in a slightly simplified body (but with equivalent quality lens) for $400 - and that is the Powershot S90. The only slight problem with this is the video - which isn't HD. If you're serious about pictures though, I would put this near the top of the list.

I'd also seriously consider the Panasonic Lumix DCM-LX3. This has some really high end photography features - great lens, flash hotshoe etc. Unlike the S90 it does do HD format video though (720/24p). It's $400.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA

Both Panasonic and Sony make red cameras at around the $400 price range. I'd get one of those.

LOL! Got me laughing! Fair enough of a response.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008

Any size will be fine? So, basically, from pocket-sized compact to full-sized SLR? You've just invited everyone to post their personal favorite camera, which may not fit your needs whatsoever. Obviously, features aren't a concern to you, so the best thing to do is to just go to a camera store (or Best Buy, or anywhere else that lets you touch and play with the cameras they sell) and figure out what camera looks and feels nice to you, and then, when you've narrowed down your options to less than several hundred (i.e. your current number of options), come back and ask a more specific question.

In case you decide not to do that, here are few cameras I think you might like:

669766.jpg

Vivitar Dora The Explorer Talking Digital Camera
$19.95

654843.jpg

Vivitar Hello Kitty Digital Camera
$21.95

650518.jpg

Leica X1 Digital Compact Camera With Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH. Lens
$1,995.00

651741.jpg

Hasselblad H3DII-50MS Medium Format Digital SLR Camera
$34,995.00

@firestarter: I don't think the G11 would be a good fit for someone coming from an ultracompact Fujifilm. I think the ISO and exp. comp. dials would make his head spin. I also have a feeling that the advantages of the S90 and LX3 (i.e. fast wideangle lens) would be lost on him. And not to hijack the thread, but (since it's currently pretty unfocused anyway) any thoughts on the new Samsung TL500/EX1? I think it looks like a winner, provided the lens and sensor are up to snuff in terms of image quality.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
651741.jpg

$34,995.00

Oh come on, that's soooooo last year- why would you recommend an outdated camera? H4D-60 for the win! :D

Paul

Edit: I forgot, if you really want an H3D-50, Hassy had one in the Feb., pre-owned price list with a kit lens for 22,995- not bad if you like kit lenses- but no free H4D upgrade on that one!

AxelMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Any size will be fine? So, basically, from pocket-sized compact to full-sized SLR? You've just invited everyone to post their personal favorite camera, which may not fit your needs whatsoever. Obviously, features aren't a concern to you, so the best thing to do is to just go to a camera store (or Best Buy, or anywhere else that lets you touch and play with the cameras they sell) and figure out what camera looks and feels nice to you, and then, when you've narrowed down your options to less than several hundred (i.e. your current number of options), come back and ask a more specific question.

In case you decide not to do that, here are few of cameras I think you might like:

669766.jpg

Vivitar Dora The Explorer Talking Digital Camera
$19.95

654843.jpg

Vivitar Hello Kitty Digital Camera
$21.95

650518.jpg

Leica X1 Digital Compact Camera With Elmarit 24mm f/2.8 ASPH. Lens
$1,995.00

651741.jpg

$34,995.00

@firestarter: I don't think the G11 would be a good fit for someone coming from an ultracompact Fujifilm. I think the ISO and exp. comp. dials would make his head spin. I also have a feeling that the advantages of the S90 and LX3 (i.e. fast wideangle lens) would be lost on him. And not to hijack the thread, but (since it's currently pretty unfocused anyway) any thoughts on the new Samsung TL500/EX1? I think it looks like a winner, provided the lens and sensor are up to snuff in terms of image quality.

LOL!! I think I like that hello kitty camera. seems like a nice camera, it should do everything I need :D

features im not really sure of as i never owned a high-tech camera. but I have used some but not enough so know about them.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Sorry, forget to mention that you might also be happy with a Nikon D3x (new low price of $7500!) and this lens:

SG200500DNKA.jpg

Sigma APO 200mm - 500mm f/2.8
$28,999.00

It's a must for any photographer, really. With only a 15% down payment, it's a no-brainer. Paint it orange and it also doubles as a large (and very sturdy) traffic cone! Special Order one today!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
features im not really sure of as i never owned a high-tech camera. but I have used some but not enough so know about them.

that doesn't say anything about size. how large of a camera will you willingly carry with you whenever you want to take pictures? does it have to fit in a pants pocket? coat pocket? small bag?

at this point I think you're just looking for a better P&S. look at the Panasonic ZS3, Canon SD980 or whatever...can't think of anything else at the moment. I'm sure the most expensive P&S not called an S90, X1, G11, or LX3 will probably be worth looking at. pick your favorite brand (I give a big thumbs down to Nikon btw) and read some reviews on DPReview, DCResource, CameraLabs, or Imaging Resource.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria

:D I've got one of those in blue. Makes a good backup/pocket camera when you don't want to lug your DSLR around.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I'm going to get this one at lunch. I've never been much for photography and never liked the super small cameras, but I saw this one last night and really liked it, plus it gets really good reviews. It seems to have enough without too many complications, and a really long zoom for a p&s. And the sale price is fantastic as well (includes an extra battery in-store).

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Z1015_IS_Digital_Camera/productID.145101200
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/788710/Kodak-EasyShare-Z1015-IS-10-0/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.