Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Hey everyone... I haven't looked at MacBook and its accessories for a long time and things just got a little confusing for me.

The company that I work for gives me a new 2017 MBP. Thing is, it has 4 ports that look like USB-C but I read around, it may be called Thunderbolt 3. Do you know which it is?

I ask because I have a monitor that works with my existing macbook pro via DP and this new laptop won't play along well. I'm going to have to sell my 34" Dell monitor and get something that works with this new laptop. Can anyone recommend a model?

And of course, in order to get the right monitor, I'll have to figure out if those ports are thunderbolt 3 or USB-C.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Those ports are all Thunderbolt 3, but its the same connector as USB-C. Any monitor with USB-C input will work. Or you can get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable and keep the old monitor (since the TB3 port relies on DisplayPort protocol anyway). The only thing you will miss is charging...

Reactions: robvas

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Thanks Leman... yes the charging is actually very important since I'll want to keep the stock cable/power adapter in the bag at all time for travel only. If USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are the same connections then I'll just get a USB-C monitor to get both the hi-res output and the charging in the same cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.