Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hi, im in the process of buying a Canon 10D body, but i am unsure what len's i will be able to use with it.

If someone could give me a list of compatable len's and recommendations for a good Macro Lens, Telephoto Lens and Portrait Lens.

Thanks in advance!
John Partridge

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Any of the Canon "EF" system lenses or any other lens that is designed for Canon AF cameras (Sigma, Tamron etc..)

For a portrait, google "Canon EF 50 1.8II"

Macros, I do not do...I'll leave that to someone else, and I'm not recommending a telephoto because its like discussing politics. :)

Drizzt

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2006
Canon makes a 50mm f/2.5 macro that sells for less than $250.
There is also a number of less expensive telephoto zoom lenses (100-300mm f/4.5-f/5.6) that sell for less than $300 but I would save up my money for the 70-200 f/4L lens Canon has. It is an "L" lens (Canon's pro lenses - "L" for luxury) and is one of the cheapest at ~$580. This may seem like a lot but you will never be disappointed by the pictures you take with it.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Drizzt said:
Canon makes a 50mm f/2.5 macro that sells for less than $250.
There is also a number of less expensive telephoto zoom lenses (100-300mm f/4.5-f/5.6) that sell for less than $300 but I would save up my money for the 70-200 f/4L lens Canon has. It is an "L" lens (Canon's pro lenses - "L" for luxury) and is one of the cheapest at ~$580. This may seem like a lot but you will never be disappointed by the pictures you take with it.
Their 50mm macro can't do macro, it only gets 1/2 way there.

Sigma makes a 50mm f2.8 Macro which is true macro. I prefer the bigger working distance of the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro.

Portrait lens, probably 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 or the Canon 85mm f1.8.

Telephoto.. Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or 100-300mm f4 or Sigma 80-400mm OS. If your budget is less than $1k. Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS, or Canon 100-400mm IS.

If your budget is small you'll have to make concessions, either getting cheaper lenses, or say using the macro lens as a portrait lens, or using the portrait lens as a macro lens with extension tubes.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Johnpartridge said:
Hi, im in the process of buying a Canon 10D body, but i am unsure what len's i will be able to use with it.

If someone could give me a list of compatable len's and recommendations for a good Macro Lens, Telephoto Lens and Portrait Lens.

Thanks in advance!
John Partridge

What is your budget and intened use.? Telephotos can get very expensive if the intened subjects are things like wildlife or sports. You need to be more specific and ask "What is the best tele for indoor basketball for under $2K, for under $800? or "I can only spend $300 and I want to photograph zoo animals".

For many kinds of macro photography you do not need a secilizedl ens. A screw-on "filter" (diopter) is good enough) Are the subjects more or less then an inch long? and Portraits can be done with any lens you want although many people will preffer a "fast" lens of about 80mm. Ideally you'd want an 85mm f/1.4 but much depends on budget. the 18-55 kit lens sold with the 350D would work fine.

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for all the Replys so far...

With Regards to Budget i can spend around $728 (£400 im in UK) on lenses.

Intended use for Telephoto would be Mainly Widlife, but maybe some Sport aswell. Ive been looking at the "L" Series lens's and i like what i see.

Intended use for Macro would be close ups of Flowers,Insects and other such subjects, would it be better for me to get a dedicated Macro lens? or buy a filter lens? (could i use my 28-80mm lens here?)

And intended use for Portrait lens is self explanatry.

Many Thanks to everyone who has helped me So Far.
John Partridge

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
ChrisBrightwell said:
... But *NOT* the "EF-S" lenses.

Yes this is what i wanted Clearing up for me.... Is a 10D not compatable with EF-S ??

Many thanks
John Partridge

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
However, you can use EF-S lenses on the 10D if you modify the rear of the lens. This is documented on many sites, my favorite I can't find, but instead of hacking off the rubber part he replaced the EF-S back end with a back end replacement for an EF lens.

EDIT: Oh and good luck getting L lenses on your budget. The only lenses I know of in your range are the 70-200mm f4 and the 17-40mm f4.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Johnpartridge said:
.... i can spend around $728 (£400 im in UK) on lenses....

I think you should be looking at the various photo forums for used lenses. I doubt you could buy even one "L-series" telephoto for you budget, let alone al three lenses. Sports and Wildlife are the single most expensive subjects you can think of especially Wildlife.

You might be able to find a used 70-200 f/2.8 for about $750 if you hunt around.

One of the advantages of the Nikon line is that people on a tight budget can buy Lenses made back in the 1970's that will fit the newest bodies. canon changed their lens mount some time ago and obsolited their older lens. Nikon found a way to do autofocus without a lens mouint change as so even 40+ year old lenses still mount on the new D200 DSLR
As an example I have a 135mm f/2.8 lens I'd be happy to sell for $85. An outstanding portrain lens that I will NOT sell is the Nikor 100mm f/2.5 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105f25.htm) that sells for just over $100 on the used market. There were no consummer grade lenses back then they were all heavy with solid metel. No plastic mounts or the like. They typically outlast their owners. As for quality look to any 60's or 70's issue of National Geographic for example photos.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
ChrisA said:
I think you should be looking at the various photo forums for used lenses. I doubt you could buy even one "L-series" telephoto for you budget, let alone al three lenses. Sports and Wildlife are the single most expensive subjects you can think of especially Wildlife.

You might be able to find a used 70-200 f/2.8 for about $750 if you hunt around.

One of the advantages of the Nikon line is that people on a tight budget can buy Lenses made back in the 1970's that will fit the newest bodies. canon changed their lens mount some time ago and obsolited their older lens. Nikon found a way to do autofocus without a lens mouint change as so even 40+ year old lenses still mount on the new D200 DSLR
As an example I have a 135mm f/2.8 lens I'd be happy to sell for $85. An outstanding portrain lens that I will NOT sell is the Nikor 100mm f/2.5 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105f25.htm) that sells for just over $100 on the used market. There were no consummer grade lenses back then they were all heavy with solid metel. No plastic mounts or the like. They typically outlast their owners. As for quality look to any 60's or 70's issue of National Geographic for example photos.

Funny you link to rockwell cause he says that you shouldn't (or at least he won't) but any lenses that are not autofocus nikons. And yes they will meter on the D200, but nothing cheaper from nikon. All canon bodies can meter without lenses attached. So in theory, he could use those older nikon lenses too, using an adapter of course. And it would practically be more useful than an AI lens on say a D70 or D50 or even the D100.

So you can't really say that nikon hasn't changed the mount, they've added things, and taken off some things (like the post that is needed for metering those old lenses).

And if you don't think lens design has moved since then, you're nuts. Now-adays zooms are almost as good as primes at the same aperture, old zooms were worthless.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
jared_kipe said:
However, you can use EF-S lenses on the 10D if you modify the rear of the lens. This is documented on many sites, my favorite I can't find, but instead of hacking off the rubber part he replaced the EF-S back end with a back end replacement for an EF lens.
I don't particularly like this idea. Mind you, my dislike probably stems from the fact that I have an EF-S lens (the 17-85), the 20D, and a 30. (Yes, 30. Not 30D.) It'd only take a minute of inattention, and all of a sudden I'd be up for a hefty repair bill on the 30, and/or the lens.

I wonder if there are any third parties that can modify the 10D's lens mount to make it compatible. It should be theoretically possible ...

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro is a great lens, as is Canon's 100mm macro.
For even greater magnification you can buy a set of Kenko extension tubes.

This shot was taken with the Sigma 105mm, the quality is much better on the original but compressing for the web kinda dampens the sharpness a bit. You'll at least get the idea of the lens and how close you can get, this is taken at max resolution of 1:1

Attachments

• flyheadwall.jpg
    flyheadwall.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 89

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
sjl said:
I don't particularly like this idea. Mind you, my dislike probably stems from the fact that I have an EF-S lens (the 17-85), the 20D, and a 30. (Yes, 30. Not 30D.) It'd only take a minute of inattention, and all of a sudden I'd be up for a hefty repair bill on the 30, and/or the lens.

I wonder if there are any third parties that can modify the 10D's lens mount to make it compatible. It should be theoretically possible ...
So you don't recommend modifying EF-S lenses to fit on the EF mount because you would break into their house and accidentally stick it on of your film camera? Touche ;)

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
jared_kipe said:
So you don't recommend modifying EF-S lenses to fit on the EF mount because you would break into their house and accidentally stick it on of your film camera? Touche ;)
No, no, no, that's not what I said at all!

In that moment of inattention, I'd accidentally break into their house, and accidentally stick it on my film camera.

Get it right! Sheesh! :p

More seriously, though, if you do make such a modification, and the lens falls into the hands of somebody who has a full-frame body (or maybe even the 1.3 crop bodies, like the 1D series), it could cause them significant problems. I understand the desire, but I'm wary of such modifications for that reason.

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hi, sorry looking back on my posts now i can see that i wrote part of it wrong(in a hurry) what i ment to say was that i can spend £400 on each lens.

That will change some peoples views on this topic.

Sorry for the confusion
John Partridge

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Still most L series lenses will be out of your budget, unless you're going to have a lens do double duty. If I was spending the money, this is what I would get.

Canon 50mm f1.4 OR Canon 85mm f1.8 -Portrait
Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro
Sigma 100-300mm f4 -telephoto

You can learn why here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.