Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
OK, so I'm going to be shooting two hours today at the Chicago Art Institute, and admission happens to be free. I thought they wouldn't let you shoot, but as long as you do all stills, use no flash or tripod, and only shoot permanent collections, you're OK. They do make you check large bags, and I'm not sure if I'll have to check my camera bad. If I do, I'm wondering if I should take my 28-200mm f/4-5.6 or 18-55 f/3.5-5.6? FWIW, the 28-200 is actually not that big and bulky, so I don't mind lugging it.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
You'll probably have a hard time getting shots with those lenses. You might be best taking the 18-55 and keeping to the wide end for the larger f/stop. I would have suggested using a 50mm f/1.8, but you don't have one.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
A tripod, if you can, will of course make the best photos in a museum setting, except for sculpture, for that youd need a handheld positioning.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah crank up your ISO and go with something that offers a small wide zoom range that way if you're cramped you can work with it. A tripod in there may not be possible.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
yeah, tripod aren't allowed, which sucks. my K100D does have IS built in, which is a plus. of course that's not as good as anything in a lens. well, I'll do my best. I'm off to go shoot.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
They said they don't allow tripods, but did they say anything about mono pods? (i.e. 'camera on a stick'.)

If not, then go get yourself a cheap telescoping monopod, and get good at bracing it real fast. Use the largest aperture lens you've got, preferably a 50mm. Use low ISO film to maximize detail, but you will have to be good at bracing your monopod still fast.

Other than that, go for high ISO film.

Also, if you are just going to be taking pictures of the actual artwork, just do yourself a favor and buy a book at the giftshop. Only if you want to get 'artsy-fartsy' with different compositions in the gallery should you bother with taking your own photos. (Like getting pictures of a sculpture from new angles or with, say, only one point in focus and the rest totally out of focus, etc.)

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I just got the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II and it is really good in lower light situations. Have a look at it... :)

Seeing that the OP has a Pentax, it's going to be pretty hard to use that lens ;) But wmmk it's great you have in-body IS. That should give you up to 2 extra stops!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Just bring the 18-55 mm and shoot at f/3.5. It's not that slow, although it's definitely not fast. The great thing about shooting at 18 mm is that slight camera shake doesn't affect your shot as much as it would when shooting at 55 mm, so stick to 18 mm. With your built-in OS, your photos will still look great if you shoot at 1/10th of a second and faster, although you can technically get another 3 stops with the OS turned on. I say "3" stops because CCD-shift works better at shorter focal lengths, while it doesn't work as well at longer telephoto lengths.

They said they don't allow tripods, but did they say anything about mono pods? (i.e. 'camera on a stick'.)

That's just semantics. I'm sure they imply that monopods are banned as well, just like "No flash photography" doesn't mean you can bring 20 flashlights and point it at the subject while taking a photo.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
That's just semantics. I'm sure they imply that monopods are banned as well, just like "No flash photography" doesn't mean you can bring 20 flashlights and point it at the subject while taking a photo.

Not necessarily, tripods take lots of room, where monopods really don't. The light rule is about damage to the artwork and other's enjoyment while the tripod rule is about space and mobility- One of those stringy things might work too, but I'd seriously look at one of the walking sticks that conveniently has a camera-sized screw under the ball. Limping on your way in while walking with it is probably a little dishonest though.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Not necessarily, tripods take lots of room, where monopods really don't. The light rule is about damage to the artwork and other's enjoyment while the tripod rule is about space and mobility- One of those stringy things might work too, but I'd seriously look at one of the walking sticks that conveniently has a camera-sized screw under the ball. Limping on your way in while walking with it is probably a little dishonest though.

I also thought it was about making it harder for you to get professional level shots of an artwork/building? Well, I assumed this is the same reason why you can't shoot with a tripod at Uluru, outside the Taj Mahal, and many other places.

I've also carried a monopod while in Japan, and they told me in the Tokyo Museum that I wasn't allowed to use it. I wasn't using it. All I had was my tiny Canon SD/IXUS point and shoot! I was carrying the monopod because I had just bought it.

I guess it's better to check. You might be able to take a monopod, but I think it may depend on (1) Who you ask. (2) The security guard who sees you using it. Some may let you go, and some may say "no tripods" even though it has one leg.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
You can try using a bean bag for support. They are very cheap and you can get them from many different places. They work very well and are great for things in low light where a tri-pod is not a good option. You can place them on a banister or benches or things like that.
Mine is actually a gun rest. It actually is very nice becuase there is a place where the lens fits in nicely. Although just about any bag filled with sand, rice or somthing similar would do great.
I would also recommend the 18-55 lens
-Ted

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
hey all, the photos didn't turn out terrible, but I didn't always have tons of room to shoot or time to set up before some people would walk into my field of view. anyway, I posted some of my shoot at flickr. use the link in my sig if you'd like to see.

oh, and I suppose I should look at a gorillapod for when I can't have my tripod.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I also thought it was about making it harder for you to get professional level shots of an artwork/building? Well, I assumed this is the same reason why you can't shoot with a tripod at Uluru, outside the Taj Mahal, and many other places.

I'm pretty sure the "no tripods" rule pre-dates the current intellectual property mess, and it's just a bonus for the post-Mickey Mouse copyright era.

(I'm not against copyright, I just think the current system a la WIPO sucks, and I detest Disney's driving of US copyright law.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.