Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
Hello guys,

I need to get a Mac, but not sure which one yet. Here is my current option.

Note: Educational discount and gift card applied to final price.

1. Macbook Air 15" (8GB/256GB) - $1050
2. Macbook Air 15" (16GB/256GB) - $1230
3. Mac Mini M2 (8GB/256GB) - $400
4. Mac Mini M2 Pro (16GB/512GB) - $1100

Information:
I currently have a 32-inch 4K monitor, so I don't plan on having two or more external monitors currently. I also have the Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad. I will mainly use this computer for work, school, entertainment, and Apple Arcade. I like having lots of tabs open and I hate turning off programs---or I forget to.

P.S does anyone know how the MacBook Air 15" speaker sounds compared to the MacBook Air 13" M1 front facing speaker?

Thank you!

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
You could also look at the older 14" M1 Pro refurbished, that would allow you to make use of the gift card and would give you similar specs to the Mini M2 Pro and the display is almost as big as that of the MBA. I'd rule out anything with only 8GiB of memory as that will limit multitasking.

Reactions: Corso99

VietKinh

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
If you want/need portability, choice 2.

If you DON'T need portability, choice 4.
Since you include Apple Arcade. I'd want as much GPU power as I could get for games. So, I'd opt for #4.
I guess my dilemma is that I'm hauling around a 7.5 pounds laptop (with charger), and I only get around 5 hours on a full charge. Getting the Mac Mini M2 Pro doesn't solve this issue. Furthermore, I'm stuck with using Windows at work, which isn't ideal. However, I would not have to go through the trouble of selling my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.